Ignition V8 release

To run perspective full screen in the control room you would use a kiosk browser. There are many already available.

Native desktop applications are part of the roadmap for 8.1, but as @accyroy points out, you can certainly use Perspective in any (modern) desktop web browser. Perspective is not restricted to mobile use - there is a 'mobile-only' license available, but you can absolutely use it to create "traditional" HMI screens for desktop use as well.

2 Likes

My company currently has the 7.9.6 vision module with 5 client limit, and I’m looking at updating to the unlimited client license soon. I believe the cost for upgrade is about $2500. Is there any benefit on waiting to do this, and trying to upgrade to version 8.0 with perspective instead. How much more is that up front? I think I saw a preorder of perspective was $6500. This is quite a big jump. Any thoughts?

You should definitely talk to your account representative but the price variance you are describing is because you are comparing the cost of upgrading a limited version of a module that you’ve already paid for to a brand new module. I believe the unlimited Vision module is currently $5950 new (not upgraded), so at $6500 the Perspective module is priced appropriately.

Does Ignition V8 support Bacnet?

Thanks.

Luis.

According to this year old post, no.

So, for all intents and purposes, an Ignition 7.9 app should gracefully upgrade to Ignition 8.0? Is that the intention with regard to a Vision application?

Yes, it should, aside from some minor visual changes to do with the change in Look and Feel.

So perspective is new vision module in version 8 along with associated changes in gateway to renders static and dynamic display in clients is that right? The old vision module will not coexist with new vision module right?(I used to think so until I installed the version 8 beta!). How else do you define perspective in one line in Ignition? Is there a summary of list of changes available somewhere for Ignition 8?

Is perspective support mouseDragged event? I read some where in ignition docs that this feature is disable in mobile module, so I’m a little worried for perspective. I use it for creating modern and good looking slider in vision and want to create them in perspective.

Questions that I have that relate to your questions are: will the Vision module be continued indefinitely, or is there an end of life for this? and if so, how long do we have until that day?

Of course older versions have to be phased out as newer ones arrive !

It was just an impression in my mind that i got from the picture that kevin had shown on architecture of perspective in his presentation on perspective (recording) where both perspective and vision were shown side by side as any other modules of ignition. I thought both versions are available in the beta version of 8 for ease of comparison during the trial period to avoid switching between separate installations of version <8 and 8. That was not the case as its not pragmatic.

Well in answer to your question, yes, both Vision and Perspective modules are available and will be available in v8.0. However my understanding is that Vision will be maintained for some years to come, I’m just not sure about its end date and if it’s known yet.

Indeed vision is an amazing module. It has every thing that you can think of as an hmi package. It’s time tested over last10 years. It will take few years for perspective to reach that level of maturity and robustness. However migration to new technologies is inevitable so as to remain compatible with modern gadgets and to leverage the latest trends in technology like distributed computing , cloud etc

Vision is not going away, and it does coexist with Perspective.

3 Likes

Perspective is a new visualization alternative, with a large focus on mobile-first design principles. In 8.1, there will be "native" desktop applications to launch Perspective projects, as well, but Vision is not going anywhere.

This page is continually being updated by the folks in the training department:
https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/DOC80/New+in+this+Version

Perspective is a completely separate, web-first visualization system. It has none of the technical limitations that came from the Mobile module's requirement to "bridge" Java/Swing (desktop-only) with the web browser. As such, the list of "component events" is extensive:

The Vision module is not going anywhere, and will not be removed or demoted in any way by Perspective. In fact, Vision is receiving some big upgrades in 8.0 - including brand new native client launchers for a completely reworked native application experience.

This is completely untrue. Backwards compatibility has always been a huge part of Ignition, and the Vision module is no exception. This really can't be said enough, and I'd appreciate you not throwing out false/unfounded information: Vision is not going anywhere, and Perspective and Vision can absolutely co-exist with each other.

9 Likes

Thanks for the clarifications Paul.
In the long run though, would IA encourage users to adopt Perspective over Vision? From an integrator customer’s perspective (pardon the pun :smile:), it’s not feasible for projects to be build in two different client environments, and with Perspective’s seamless integration now with mobile clients, i imagine especially for new projects that it’d be counter productive to start these using the Vision module. But I definitely understand from an existing project’s perspective that these can take years to make the switch across, if ever!

It’s really going to depend on your project. Do you see a need to make a mobile-first experience? Then by all means do it in Perspective!

If you don’t need that mobile-first capability, definitely do it in Vision. Vision isn’t going anywhere and it currently (and probably for a while yet) has more capabilities.

2 Likes

My colleagues have already (hopefully) expressed enough that Perspective is not Vision 2.0, and the two are going to coexist for the foreseeable future. There isn't going to be a clear answer on "which should I use", since every project is so different.

That said...

I personally would choose Perspective if it met the component needs I have at the time I start my project. Vision has a larger suite of components available right now, and likely will upon release of 8.0. So if your project has an immediate need for something that Perspective can't satisfy right now, then lean toward Vision.

Otherwise, I would personally choose Perspective. In the long run (years+) it's going to be more capable as well as more flexible. The web is a much bigger world than Java Swing and there is so much more investment in web technologies that it just seems the more future proof. Vision will continue getting updates and improvements, but the roadmap is much larger for Perspective simply due to what the technologies are capable of.

If I did choose Vision, I would try to build my project in a way that the tags and various data models I needed would be suitable for both, so in the future migrating to Perspective could be done with a smaller effort. This mostly means keeping UDTs well structured, avoiding as many client tags/scripts as I can (there is no client tags/scripts in perspective), and things of that nature.

Ultimately the project will be the determining factor, but all things being equal I'd choose Perspective for the long run.

6 Likes

How are people going to work around no client tags in perspective? Is that something that will be in the works? Seems like client tags are widely used in most large applications. Is it possible to have custom properties on windows? I guess that may be a work around to the lack of the client tags?