Moving UDTs and instances into non-default tag provider

I am continuing work on my energy meter project on a shared Ignition server with multiple users. It seems a good idea to move my energy meter UDTs and instances from the ‘default’ provider into my own tag provider ‘tp_BA_Energy’. This way I can protect the tag definitions with role-based security and prevent other users from ‘improving’ them.

As a first attempt I copied the UDTs (in Data Types) and all the meters into my new tag provider as shown below.

1. Now I find that the originals still work but the copies don’t. All the tag quality values are 'Unknown".
  2. If I add tags to ‘tp_BA_Energy’ (my new tag provider) they also appear in the default. It’s as though my tag provider is just an alias for the default one.

Can anyone give me a pointer?

So on the second question, what do you mean when you say you set up your "own tag provider", are you saying in the Ignition gateway you when to "OPC Connections" and set up an new OPC server? If so, why? Unless you're setting up a connection to a third party OPC server such as Kepware, I wouldn't worry about making a new tag provider to poll OPC devices setup in the gateway.

As to why your copied UDTs don't work, can you show how you modified the Data Type Parameters to reflect the new path compared to their original format?

Thanks, abishur.

... when you say you set up your "own tag provider", are you saying in the Ignition gateway you when to "OPC Connections" and set up an new OPC server?

No, I'm using the 'Ignition OPC-UA Server'.
The new tag provider is configured under Tags | Realtime. As explained, I can define tag editing roles to all the tags in this provider. My fear is that on a shared server someone could mess up my tag configuration in the 'default' provider. I'm looking at additional tag providers as a way of applying security to a group of tags.

... can you show how you modified the Data Type Parameters to reflect the new path compared to their original format?

I'll need to look into this tomorrow to answer properly.

I think that the problem I experienced is that the original UDT tags were running a dedicated scan class. This was created in and only available in the default tag provider.

When I created it again in my new tag provider I started to get values for the tag values in my new tag provider. Problem solved.

Thank you for your help.