OPC-DA to RSLinx Classic (Emulated PLC)

Hello Ignitioneers…

Just as an FYI, I have been testing the new FactoryTalk Linx Gateway v6.00. This version now contains the new OPC-UA driver along side the OPC-DA driver. Being a beta tester for this product, I noticed early on it was a bit buggy, unfortunately. One really annoying bug is that all the OPC tags are doubled in the Ignition OPC Browser… every folder and every tag are displayed twice. I also conducted some rudimentary round trip testing on single tags and the Ignition OPC-UA driver seemed to perform better-than-slightly better. Now, I cannot attest this advantage would be the same if thousands of tags were gathered each round trip, but it seems logical to assume it would (test performed on Emulate 5000 and a physical test rack). I notified the RA software engineering team about the bug, which they could recreate, but… now that this has been released to the public I see they have not fixed it. Hopefully as this offering matures it will be a viable Ignition option, but as for this moment in time I am not a big fan.

Cheers,
Steve

1 Like