Raspberry Pi 3 Native Linux Client not working after upgrade 7.9.0 to 7.9.10

I am able to ping from each of the Pi 3s to the server and vice versa.

Another symptom is that on all of my windows devices, the NCL links did not work after the upgrade. I had to delete them and and download the v7.9.10 windows NCL to access the projects.

I would think that if the new windows NCL works that there is no port or network issue. The only element that has changed is the version of Ignition.

Why does the v7.9.10 linux NCL no longer open on the Pi 3s?

Something is up with the “new” launchers and running on the RPi, I’m looking into it currently. In the meantime, as Paul mentioned, you can use the legacy launchers, which are included as part of your 7.9.10 install. They can be found in installdir/lib/core/launch, where installdir is the root of the Ignition installation.

For ease in deployment, you can rename legacyclientlauncher.tar.gz to clientlauncher.tar.gz (after renaming the current clientlauncher.tar.gz to something else), which will allow for the legacy launchers to be downloaded through the link on the gateway web page.

4 Likes

Thanks for the input. Having followed your suggestions, the v7.9.10 legacy native client launcher opens and installs on the raspberry pi’s but gives the error “java.lang.ExceptioninitializerError” at the final stage of opening a project. Is it possible there is java issue? The RPis are running java 8 v1.8_65

OK, I updated the RPi to Java 8 to v1.8_191 but I still get the same error.

“java.lang.ExceptioninitializerError” appears at then end of the startup screen process.

Any thoughts?

Do you have a full stack trace for that error message?

A long shot, but do you have the Web Browser module loaded on your Gateway? Our RPI clients quit working a while back right after the module was installed, since the clients were trying to load the module and the platform was not supported. This may have been fixed by now, but I thought I’d mention it.

Oscar.

James, I do not have a stack trace. Is there a log file I can pull or a software I need to capture a stack trace?

I was going to have you enable the Java console in the Java Control Panel, but it doesn’t appear that the control panel is included with the ARM JDK.

In any event, my suspicion is the same as what Oscar mentioned above, which is that the error is happening because the client is trying to load the Web Browser module, and the module isn’t supported on ARM. If you have the Web Browser installed and don’t have any clients using it, just uninstall it - otherwise, you can try reverting just the Web Browser module to the 7.9.0 version.

Oscar, Thanks for the recomendation. Removing the Web Browser module allowed the RPis to load.

James, Is there a work around for this? I have other Windows based NCLs that are using the Web Browser module.

1 Like

A fix was already made in 7.9.11 - we fixed the behavior of the web browser module, so that if the client OS isn't supported by JxBrowser, the component will simply fail to load - the rest of your project will load fine, and you won't need to make changes to your gateway.

3 Likes

Is Ignition 7.9.11 available yet? From the downloads page it appears as if the latest version available is 7.9.10

I’m also having the same problem using the NCL on a raspberry pi.

Not yet - there are a few other issues with the NCLs in 7.9.10 that we've identified and would like to fix, and then it all needs to go through some more QA.

Would using and older version of Web Browser module work until v7.9.11 is released? Or is the issue that the NCL will try to load it no matter what version it is?

The NCL will always try to load whatever modules the gateway it’s pointed at has - but rolling back the browser module may work because in 7.9.3 we upgraded the underlying browser library, and in that upgrade the third-party dropped compatibility for certain platforms.

Has there been any resolution yet? We are having the same launcher problem. Is it possible to get just the loader from .11 even if it has not gone through QA? All our ARM processor computers are pretty much useless right now.

Can you use the launcher from 7.9.9 instead, or do you have the problem where the Web Browser module prevents a successful launch?

We just uninstalled the web module and it still does not launch. We get no error. The launcher says it is downloading projects and then just disappears. I just checked and we are also having launcher problems on Windows machines. The launcher version is 7.9.9.

Just wanted to add that I was having a similar problem getting my RPi3 to connect to the Ignition Demo VM v7.9.7.

I could connect to the gateway and get to the login screen, but as soon as I entered the credentials it would show the loading icon and then just freeze.

Spent a couple of hours messing around last night trying to fix this issue, uninstalled and reinstalled Java, tried using the legacy native client launcher all to no avail.

In the end I had to uninstall the Web Browser module on the gateway and now the RPi client is working fine.

Maybe this is a solution:

Hi all!

For Ignition 8:
https://support.inductiveautomation.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/127/0/ignition-8-32-bit-vision-client