MalformedInputException error trying to import tags from AB csv file

java.nio.charset.MalformedInputException: Input length = 1
at java.base/java.lang.StringCoding.throwMalformed(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.StringCoding.decodeUTF8_0(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.StringCoding.newStringNoRepl1(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.StringCoding.newStringNoRepl(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.System$2.newStringNoRepl(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.readString(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.readString(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tags.frame.actions.TagImportTask.readFile(ImportExportActions.kt:312)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tags.frame.actions.TagImportTask.run(ImportExportActions.kt:231)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.gui.progress.ClientProgressManager$ClientRunningTask.run(ClientProgressManager.java:511)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.execution.impl.BasicExecutionEngine$ThrowableCatchingRunnable.run(BasicExecutionEngine.java:539)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Ignition v8.1.13 (b2021122109)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.13

Exported the controller tags from a AB project and am trying to import them into a new Ignition project to use. Is there a certain format that I need to put the csv in to import successfully?

Thanks!

CSV import is essentially legacy functionality at this point, but you can still do it.
import.csv (914 Bytes)

Is there a better way to export the tags? The only options are csv and txt.

Sorry, very new at this. I have the program, but not a PLC to load the program into yet.

xml or json are the preferred export/import options in ignition. You would have to format your AB export into one of those formats. I have not actually done that myself, hopefully someone with better knowledge of that process can chime in.

Another option is to read the CSV file in and use system.tag.configure: system.tag.configure - Ignition User Manual 8.1 - Ignition Documentation to generate the tags.

Is this a Logix PLC? If so, you might want to use my Ethernet/IP module's controller emulation (tags/types only) to mimic the eventual real PLC. See this topic for an example:

The module honors Ignition's two-hour trial mode, so you don't need to buy it for something like this.

1 Like

Also, you really don’t want to just import an entire controller’s tags. That generally crushes comms performance in the real world. When using my module, the complete controller is only in the OPC browse window, just like the (future) real connection.

I used your module to import the tags that I needed. Worked well as far as I can tell. Thanks for the assistance.

The software is good, just finding out to utilize it will take time and experience.

1 Like