# Waiting for v8.1.0 before Upgrading?

**URL:** <https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/t/waiting-for-v8-1-0-before-upgrading/36492>\
**Category:** Ignition Early Access\
**Created:** [July 8, 2020, 3:20pm UTC](https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/t/waiting-for-v8-1-0-before-upgrading/36492 "2020-07-08T15:20:59Z")\
**Posts on this page:** 7\
**Page:** 1

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![dkhayes117](https://sea1.discourse-cdn.com/inductiveautomation/user_avatar/forum.inductiveautomation.com/dkhayes117/32/68344_2.png) [@dkhayes117](https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/u/dkhayes117)\
**Post date:** [July 8, 2020, 3:20pm UTC](https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/t/waiting-for-v8-1-0-before-upgrading/36492/1 "2020-07-08T15:20:59Z")

</div>

I want to upgrade to v8 at some point, but I’m not in a huge rush. I was thinking of waiting until v8.1.0. If I upgrade from 7.9 to 8.0 and then 8.1 comes out, will there be another upgrade fee between 8.0 and 8.1? I know this is a major version change and not a minor version change, but since 8.0 is still _sort of_ beta mode I wasn’t sure. Are there even any plans or rough release estimate for 8.1.0.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Kevin.Herron](https://sea1.discourse-cdn.com/inductiveautomation/user_avatar/forum.inductiveautomation.com/kevin.herron/32/7259_2.png) [@Kevin.Herron](https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/u/Kevin.Herron)\
**Post date:** [July 8, 2020, 3:24pm UTC](https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/t/waiting-for-v8-1-0-before-upgrading/36492/2 "2020-07-08T15:24:57Z")

</div>

> [@dkhayes117](#):
>
> If I upgrade from 7.9 to 8.0 and then 8.1 comes out, will there be another upgrade fee between 8.0 and 8.1?

I think this depends on whether you have TotalCare(?) or not? Probably a better question for your sales rep.

8.1 is planned to be an LTS release, so if you're looking for something to stay on long term then yes, it's probably best to wait.

You can play around with upgrading in a staging environment with a trial license to get a feel for what kind of changes might be necessary during the upgrade.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![dkhayes117](https://sea1.discourse-cdn.com/inductiveautomation/user_avatar/forum.inductiveautomation.com/dkhayes117/32/68344_2.png) [@dkhayes117](https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/u/dkhayes117)\
**Post date:** [July 8, 2020, 3:28pm UTC](https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/t/waiting-for-v8-1-0-before-upgrading/36492/3 "2020-07-08T15:28:09Z")

</div>

Yeah I don't have TotalCare, it's hard to talk my company into purchasing that.

> [@Kevin.Herron](#):
>
> 8.1 is planned to be an LTS release

Perfect, I will probably setup a dev server with 8.0.x to get projects converted over and get a feel for the changes. Then when 8.1 is released I will be ready to swap. Thanks for info.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![pturmel](https://sea1.discourse-cdn.com/inductiveautomation/user_avatar/forum.inductiveautomation.com/pturmel/32/3295_2.png) [@pturmel](https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/u/pturmel)\
**Post date:** [July 8, 2020, 3:38pm UTC](https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/t/waiting-for-v8-1-0-before-upgrading/36492/4 "2020-07-08T15:38:20Z")

</div>

> [@dkhayes117](#):
>
> Yeah I don’t have TotalCare, it’s hard to talk my company into purchasing that.

Try to talk them into BasicCare, then. Cheaper, and still covers upgrades.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Steve\_Laubach](https://sea1.discourse-cdn.com/inductiveautomation/user_avatar/forum.inductiveautomation.com/steve_laubach/32/60900_2.png) [@Steve\_Laubach](https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/u/Steve_Laubach)\
**Post date:** [July 8, 2020, 4:08pm UTC](https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/t/waiting-for-v8-1-0-before-upgrading/36492/5 "2020-07-08T16:08:21Z")

</div>

I agree. Ignition is receiving updates pretty rapidly.

Basic care is a no brainer.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Matrix\_Engineering](https://sea1.discourse-cdn.com/inductiveautomation/user_avatar/forum.inductiveautomation.com/matrix_engineering/32/19781_2.png) [@Matrix\_Engineering](https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/u/Matrix_Engineering)\
**Post date:** [July 8, 2020, 4:15pm UTC](https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/t/waiting-for-v8-1-0-before-upgrading/36492/6 "2020-07-08T16:15:35Z")

</div>

> [@dkhayes117](#):
>
> Are there even any plans or rough release estimate for 8.1.0.

Likely planned for release at ICC but not confirmed as a definite.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![dkhayes117](https://sea1.discourse-cdn.com/inductiveautomation/user_avatar/forum.inductiveautomation.com/dkhayes117/32/68344_2.png) [@dkhayes117](https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/u/dkhayes117)\
**Post date:** [July 8, 2020, 4:33pm UTC](https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/t/waiting-for-v8-1-0-before-upgrading/36492/7 "2020-07-08T16:33:12Z")

</div>

I’m going to pitch adding basic care again soon 🙂
