Database configuration

Hi,

I’m curious as to which database you guys use and the reason for this choice.
Also, how do you guys handle the database redundancy/backups?

Mongo (I studied it in collage)
And always doing backups in DropBox

Be very careful, unless you buy their commercial license. Their free license is not really suitable for business use.

IANAL, yada, yada.

1 Like

Which database do you guys prefer that is for business use?
If you need to choose between the databases Ignition provides with the default installation (MariaDB, Microsoft SQLServer, MySQL, Oracle Database, PostgreSQL)?

PostgreSQL

And why?
I’m trying to get the best answer possible.
Not a personal favorite but a well-thought choice.

Such things tend to be more subjective, but:

• SQL compliance
  • Free
  • Open source
  • Multi-platform
  • Optimistic concurrency
  • Table inheritance
  • EDIT: There is no multiple (Standard / DataServer / Enterprise) flavors of PostgreSQL. In SQL Server for example, you would need Enterprise version to get some of the same functionality PostgreSQL has out-of-the-box.
1 Like

Thank you this is the information I’m looking for.
I get that it’s more subjective but never the less it gives information on why you guys use it.

If other people got other opinions about it I still love to hear them.

Not quite true, but close. Most full-time PostgreSQL developers work for EnterpriseDB, which offers commercial support for their distribution of PostgreSQL. Not surprisingly, called EnterpriseDB. The commercial features include better clustering support and a bunch of Oracle compatibility tweaks. I've never had to purchase it, as PostgreSQL is in fact the most feature-complete open source database out there. But that's where I point customers who want the security blanket of a commercial support contract.

One item Jordan left out: PostgreSQL's timestamptz data type is the only one out there that perfectly and precisely maps to java.sql.Timestamp (for microseconds) and java.util.Date (for milliseconds), no matter what time zone shenanigans are going on.

Many of my customers use SQL Server, which is fine, but has crappy time zone storage formats--they don't map cleanly to JDBC types are therefore can get scrambled. I encourage anyone using SQL Server to run its host on UTC, and make connections specifying UTC, and then its DATETIME type will behave nicely.

5 Likes