Launch Ignition 8.0 Client on Raspberry PI 3B+

After reading through some topics on the subject (Version 8 32-bit vision clients and Ignition 8 Client on Raspberry PI), I downloaded OpenJDK 64-Bit on my Raspberry PI to try to launch Ignition 8.0 Vision Client.

New java version was sucessfully installed:
~$ java -version
openjdk version “11.0.5” 2019-10-15
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.5+10-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu1.118.04)
Open JDK 64-Bit Server VM

But still, when I run the Vision Client Launcher icon, client doesn’t open and I get no error messages.
Has anyone gone through this before or can give some insight on this?

Did you read those posts close enough to catch that there is an alternate shell script you have to download and run instead of using the launchers?

There’s a KB article now as well: https://support.inductiveautomation.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/127/0/ignition-8-32-bit-vision-clients

I’ve found that a stock Buster install is sufficient, along with the downloaded script according to the KB article Kevin linked to.

EDIT: Yes, Buster will work on the Pi3+.

Link that Kevin shared is dead now. Is there a catch all for this now? I am using an RPi 4b and launcher doesn’t work…

Here’s an updated link: Ignition 8 32-bit Vision Clients – Inductive Automation Help Center

2 Likes

Granted, I am using the 64bit beta…is there a how to for that? Sorry for thread hijacking. Just seemed a better space to carry on the discussion.

It’s nearly the same as KB article, but you use a 64-bit JDK instead.

The gateway will run on a RPi4 with a 64-bit OS but the Designer and Launchers will not. There’s no JavaFX or JXBrowser for ARM64 right now. Or at least, I think that’s still the status. This thread explains it a bit: Vision on ARM64

FWIW, I highly recommend using a RPi4 instead of a 3B+. They are much quicker, you will notice the difference on boot. If you PM me, I can get you a copy of an already set up 64-bit image.

Hi @cody.abbott I would be interested in taking a look at the image. I am attempting to run an Ignition vision client from a RPi4 with no success.