Native Client Launcher: 32 or 64-bit?

We installed v7.9.10 at a customer’s and tried using the Native Client Launcher instead of the .jnlp file. When we ran the client launcher it complained that the program wasn’t compatible with the machine we were running it on. When we checked the embedded version of Java it was 64-bit (the server is 64-bit Ubuntu) but the client is Windows 7 32-bit.

Is any check possible when installing the client launcher or does it always install the same version of Java as the server?

We’re already tracking this bug (and a few others) related to the new launchers and embedded JRE.

In 7.9.10, it's installing 64-bit everywhere. In (probably) 7.9.11, there will be 32-bit runtimes bundled with the gateway that will be served up to the clients that need them.
For now, in 7.9.10 you can still access the 'legacy' launcher executables (which will use the system's installed Java) in the gateway install directory - check /lib/core/launch.

Thanks for the heads up.

After a 32-bit Windows 7 client has downloaded the native clientlauncher.exe from the gateway website, you can just delete the jre folder that it unpacks, and the clientlauncher will use the system’s installed Java instead.

I ran into this problem and Support recommended that solution, which worked fine for me.

5 Likes

Where is this folder located? I cannot get the legacy client launcher to work either.

Assuming default installation:

C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Ignition\lib\core\launch

On mine, the jre folder got installed in:

C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Roaming\Inductive Automation\Client Launcher\