Periodically when adding new tags or restarting existing tags, quality shows as Uncertain_InitialValue

Since upgrading from 7 to v8.1.0 onsite, we’ve periodically been seeing that when we add new tags, edit existing, or restart existing tags from the context menu, their values won’t come in and their qualities remain Uncertain_InitialValue.

The only resolution that I’ve found it to completely restart the gateway. I have tried restarting the tag provider itself, however from memory this just meant that all tags had this quality.

The last time this happened was about 2 weeks ago, and now it’s just happened again. The site is operational basically 24/7 so rebooting SCADA is not great! I’ll contact support tomorrow morning (Aus time), but in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: note that this only affects tags coming from devices e.g. Allen-Bradley PLCs. Internal Ignition memory tags are unaffected…

8.1.2 is the current stable, any reasons you’re not availing of that release?

We upgraded to 8.1.0 a few months ago, from memory we’ve only seen it happen 3 times now but we’re planning to upgrade to 8.1.3 as we’ve been holding out for the fix to the Perspective on-screen keyboard when running Perspective in Vision in the web browser component

Are the AB PLCs version 32?

1 Like

Not all of them but some. Will need to check if its happening to all devices. Is there an issue with 32?

Longstanding:

If when these tags are stuck in Uncertain the Logix devices they belong to are in a perpetual Idle state then it’s a known issue.

Coincidentally, I think we just tracked it down and I’m going to be resurrecting one of the old threads about it to upload a module for testing.

If it’s not the Idle thing and instead you see errors in the logs when browsing/re-browsing then it’s a v32 firmware bug that has to be remedied by a program download or (reportedly) upgrading to v33.

1 Like

@Kevin.Herron I’ve just checked and the issue is affecting a lot of drivers, not just Logix. Any tag I drag in from the OPC browser or create manually is in this state, including the diagnostic OPC tags part of devices.

1 Like

Upgrade and/or call support :man_shrugging: