TCP Driver - Connect to Barcode Scanner

I’m testing a handheld barcode scanner IDM140 WLAN from Sick for an upcoming project. I want to get the barcode from the scanner to Ignition with TCP driver. But… I can’t.
Barcode scanner is a wi-fi only. It’s connected to the LAN ok. I can get the barcode to the HyperTerminal in Windows, if I set HyperTerminal to ‘Wait for a call’.
In the scanner settings I set the target IP and port to the Ignition Gateway IP.
Now, in Ignition I’ve tried everything with TCP/UDP driver, but failed. I can’t get connection from barcode scanner to Ignition.
I have read everything, that I could find on the forum about barcode scanners and TCP/UDP driver, but… I’m lost.

Documentation for TCP/UDP driver states, that TCP/UDP driver is passive only. Doesn’t that mean, that driver will listen on the specific port on the gateway’s IP for active connection from another party? Why then we must specify the IP also in the driver settings?

I tried to put scanners IP in the settings, I tried gateway IP, I tried 127.0.0.1 and nothing works. No connection.

I also tried with UDP driver (without multicat) with gateway IP and also with scanner IP, but… nothing.

Can anyone help with some advice?

The TCP driver only acts as a client and therefore needs to be the side that makes the connection to the device. There is no way for the TCP driver to act as a server and wait for an incoming connection. If your device actually supports the UDP protocol then that option should work for you since UDP does not maintain an open connection with the device it’s talking with.

But that's not passive connection. That's active.

In the Ignition documentation stays:

But that's not passive connection. That's active.

In the Ignition documentation stays:

You're right, the documentation is poorly worded. They are 'active' listeners. They make a connection to a device and then listen and interpret the data received.

So that means that I can’t use this scanner? 1500€ scanner and it’s useless…
What kind of scanners are you using, guys? I never heard of ‘passive’ Ethernet barcode readers.

[quote=“zxcslo”]So that means that I can’t use this scanner? 1500€ scanner and it’s useless…
What kind of scanners are you using, guys? I never heard of ‘passive’ Ethernet barcode readers.[/quote]

Hello zxcslo,

Did you ever get this setup working?

Has anyone else got any recommendations for Handheld wireless barcode scanners that work on Ethernet with Ignition?

My concern with the USB or “keyboard-wedge” idea is if the focus is not on the appropriate text field when the user scans.

[quote]Hello zxcslo,

Did you ever get this setup working?

Has anyone else got any recommendations for Handheld wireless barcode scanners that work on Ethernet with Ignition?

My concern with the USB or “keyboard-wedge” idea is if the focus is not on the appropriate text field when the user scans.[/quote]
No, I didn’t.
Because the Ignition TCP driver is essentially ACTIVE listener, and Barcode scanners from SICK requires PASSIVE listener on the other side, this will not work.
We decided to connect the barcode scanners to the PLC (SIEMENS S7) and get the data from PLC to Ignition.

Do you know if this is the case with all SICK scanners that are on Ethernet?

I did something years ago which had a serial output and we connected it to a RS232-Ethernet gateway.

I then connected to the Ethernet gateway from my client app (not Ignition) using a particular IP and port and then whenever a scan came in the data would arrive.

[quote=“george”]Do you know if this is the case with all SICK scanners that are on Ethernet?

I did something years ago which had a serial output and we connected it to a RS232-Ethernet gateway.

I then connected to the Ethernet gateway from my client app (not Ignition) using a particular IP and port and then whenever a scan came in the data would arrive.[/quote]
The new wifi SICK scanners are all the same. They have active connections, so on the other side must be passive listener.

I know this is very late but I have had success with the Keyence scanner. It was connected to the N L20 ethernet module and set up as a TCP device. In the Ignition gateway I was able to created a TCP device, that the IP and Port and the barcode message came through.

I am trying to connect an IV3-500CA. According to the documentation it supports TCP comm, but I havent been ablet establish a connection.

I have the sensor Nonprocedural command selected with the default Port of 8500 on the utility settings and the Port on the Network setting is 63000. I've tried both ports in the ignition connection settings, but no luck so far. Am i missing a setting in the sensor?