Background color

1 Like

Not to mention, if the navigation keeps moving around any time you change pages, it's questionable user experience design.

I'm not blaming you on this or anything, if you've inherited something with weird design it's gonna be hard and probably not worth it to try to overhaul it at this point.

I am not a vendor either.
Expectation of my pages is probably different in that way.

I'm a little confused exactly the content you're trying to show. I thought this was a navigation menu? in which case it should be in the same place on all pages, right?

2 Likes

On some pages, the navigation is down 1000px.
Some pages it is to the right 200px.
Most pages the navigation is in the same spot, which I will probably make docks because you are very convincing.

When not confined to a dock, more choices are available.
So for some pages, I will still need to copy-paste from the relevant dock it seems.

I appreciate the help showing me that the dock is not as resource intense as I thought.

For the 1000px down dock, you can probably use the same dock and just manually adjust the configuration on those pages to be 1000px narrower or something along those lines (having a bit of trouble visualizing what you mean otherwise, do you mean the whole view is 1000 pixels taller or something, or is one of the navigation menus in the middle of the page?)
For the 200px right dock, you'd probably have to make a second dock but I still recommend making it an actual dock so you can keep all of them in sync. Maybe use an embedded view (I know, I know) so there's still only one source of truth for both docks and some intern 5 years from now doesn't forget to update the navigation in one place.

2 Likes

Someone put this in the stylesheet.
I don't know why that would exist.
Is that like a lazy way to skip having to set the setting?
Or what does this do?

Trying a dock.

I set it for overlap to show the issue.

How do I set the width of my dock?
Supposed to be 200px.
Size seems to have no impact on the width for some reason.
I put in 200 and 800. Width did not change at all.

Dock is 200px wide 800px tall.
The area I am trying to cover is 200px.

This page does something even more odd.

I commented out that style blocking the width.

However, now I have another couple issues with the dock.

1. When I scroll while on the dock, the page does not scroll.
  2. scrolls only appear from the right side to the dock instead of across the page.
  3. scrolling causes the top dock to stay in place

I can't tell if I am having issues because I want docks to act as part of the whole page and they can't do that.

Or if docks can do that, and I just need to learn how to get them behave as part of a whole page.

I think I understand what you're getting at. You won't get that sort of behavior with a normal dock as far as I know.

If you need it to scroll with your main view content, I'd suggest creating a higher-level view consisting of a flex container with two embedded views. One view would be fixed in size and be hard-coded to your dock view. The other would be your actual main view. The overall view would have scrolling configured the same as your original.

You'd reconfigure your page(s) to this higher-level view and pass a view path and view params via URL parameters (alternatively, you set up lots of these pages with fixed views/params).

1 Like

Like embedding the navigation instead of using a dock?

If you wanted it to scroll with your main view like a website might, yes.

Personally I think it's not worth the added complexity. I'd either live with the nav scrolling or try to tighten/modify the navigation to not require the scrolling

2 Likes

You would use this to enable collapsing the side dock if you want to have a verbose version and a version just showing icon, for example.
You would control the width by defining the widths of the dock components

1 Like

I tried the docks, but they mess up the pages.

Locks the part of the page they are in.
I don't know if I will do the embeds.
Thanks for information on them though.