[Bug-1203] Designer Chromium Crash with Exit Code 139 on MacOS Big Sur

Still getting this bug on 8.1.21 on Mac Pro running Ventura.

Any updates?

The previously-mentioned version from the JXBrowser team did not meet our requirements for adoption. We are looking into whether we can make changes on our end to accept it while we have also requested another version from them with fixes for the issues we encountered. Unlikely to have any more info before 8.1.25 as we've already begun on 8.1.24.

Following this thread as I just hit the same issue on my Mac. Was glad to find a thread on the forum for this issue, but it was a disappointing read. :frowning:

Same... Still having this issue years later and sometimes it causes a loss of work.

We hear you, and some of us feel the same pain you do from this bug. We are going to repair it as soon as is possible, but the timeframe for repairing it is frustratingly out of our control as we're dependent on a third-party product and we must be careful that repairing this issue does not introduce something just as bad.

I hate to break it to you but you come off as not really interested in the fact that we may loose hours of work due to this bug. Time is money and we lose it because of this. You seem to just be throwing your hands up and saying “its not our fault so just deal with it”.

:roll_eyes:

You could always abandon the one architecture that seems to be plagued by this bug. If it really is costing you that much moola, you can justify switching to a better computer.

/snark (though I think the emoji just doesn't properly convey how far back my eyes are rolling)

At this point, I’m honestly less concerned about this particular designer bug and more concerned by the fact it’s going on 2 years - unless I missed a note somewhere - without a Jxbrowser update due to every release having major bugs. This means - besides eroding confidence that future major bugs will be fixable in a timely manner - that there are a whole lot of unpatched security vulnerabilities.

I’ll be honest though, I don’t have a great understanding of where Jxbrowser is actually important to Ignition and how it might compromise a system. Is it only important to the designer and web browser component? It would be nice to get some additional insight into what level of concern should be attributed to having woefully unpatched Chromium versions deployed, even if only limited to machines that have the designer installed. If it’s not a viable attack vector, it would be great to get some insight into why.

1 Like

Is this problem limited to Big Sur or is it affecting newer operating systems as well? I run my designer from a Mac, and I haven't had a single problem, but my designer doesn't run directly from the OS; it's sandboxed in a VM.

For perspective, only the designer uses jxbrowser.
And maybe there were updates to it, but just none that fixed your issue.

Maybe you should ask Apple to fixed their laptop instead, since that is the problem xd Good luck getting a positive reply from them. i bet they'll just recommend buying a new expensive laptop, since they never rly fix things xd

I'm using Ventura and still encounter it regularly.

It’s not a MacOS bug. It’s a known bug in Jxbrowser. There have been updates to Jxbrowser that have supposedly fixed this particular MacOS issue. If you search the forum for “Jxbrowser update” you’ll see a number of different posts from IA developers saying each new update has had major bugs that prevent them from updating the Jxbrowser version that is packaged with Ignition. As far as I’m aware, this has been the case since - at a minimum - when I created this post. That would mean the Jxbrowser version with Ignition is at least 14 versions behind current - and by extension - a very old version of Chromium too.

version 8.1.28 mentions an update to Jxbrowser, anyone have any details if that update addresses this mac os issue?

It does remove that issue. It's fantastic.

3 Likes

Awesome. So glad this is fixed, will download the update today.

Just because I know this will come up...

Only a Designer launched and running against an 8.1.28+ Gateway will have this fix. Designers are launched and with run binaries from whatever version of Ignition they are pointed at.

Just because you downloaded a new Designer Launcher from 8.1.28+ doesn't mean anything. You must upgrade each Ignition Gateway you will run the Designer against.

6 Likes