[BUG-15788] Allen Bradley Device Failing in OPC-UA but still showing as running,

@accyroy Can you try this Logix Driver module on your Ignition 8.0 gateway and let me know if the browses all complete eventually? You should still see the warning message if a timeout occurs but it should restart the browse attempt, which you would see with those other LogixBrowse loggers enabled.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Kevin. Installed and restarted server twice now. I am seeing the warning message as before but the driver does continue and re-browse so we have all PLCā€™s online after both restarts. Iā€™ll leave it running a few days and let you know how it goes!

Thanks, I didnā€™t have a straightforward way of reproducing and testing it here.

Iā€™m a little concerned that youā€™re the only person to report this issue so far. I donā€™t know if thereā€™s something about your network or devices that is making this timeout more likely or if the issue is wider spread and just underreported right now.

Yes it is strange, especially strange that we only just started experiencing this at other sites. The other sites are a totally different customer in another industry with different programming standards etc. This site we actually have a really good network, fibre links to every machine and fibre back to the server room. The only thing I can place that is different to other sites like this, is PLCā€™s with V32 firmware. Majority are 32 here and its the first big job with 32 accepted in our spec.

For what its worth if possible you may double check speed and duplex settings on the ethernet adapter on the PLC.
That has caused me issues beforeā€¦ Overall looks like you have a good thread going with Kevin alreadyā€¦

We have been experiencing a similar issue in our plant. We have been randomly finding the device driver has bad quality after a restart or disable/enabling the device. We are running ControlLogix V28.011. The temporary fix that we have is to go into the device and edit then save without changing anything and the driver fixes itself. I am currently working with someone in Inductive to resolve the issue, but we have not had resolution. Iā€™ve provided the wrapper logs while it was happening and everthing requested, but donā€™t have an answer. I have set the driver logs to trace for when it happens again. #112867.

If itā€™s the same issue as this thread is about then itā€™s fixed in the 8.0.8 release. Will get backported for 7.9.14 as well.

Is there an update for 7.8.5? If not when will the working version for 7.9.14 for available?

7.8.5 doesnā€™t have the changes that introduced the problem being discussed here. (and wouldnā€™t be updated anyway)

7.9.14 is currently scheduled for April 28ā€¦

Kevin,

Interesting. Well, we are experiencing a similar issue with 7.8.5 where it seems like if a network connection is momentarily lost then the tags go to uncertain state and it does not clear until we edit the OPC-UA Device and save without changing anything. Out default was to restart the Gateway Server until we found the edit device worked. I thought this forum issue sounded very similar to what we were experiencing and was hopeful that our issue was just a driver issue. Now Iā€™m not sure.

Itā€™s still possible itā€™s a driver issue, just not the same one discussed here. If you guys are eligible to upgrade to 7.9 Iā€™d start exploring that.

We are using 8.1.19 and the problem still persists. It will happen most often after a PLC power cycle. We know to edit and save the device to get it to work again. Rebrowse does not restart and we have a variety of AB PLC's with many versions and it happens to all. It was also like that at the last place I worked. Ignition has always had a quirk with restarting browses after a PLC power cycle. No matter what driver module you use. Just restarted two today at different plants. But it will always show connected.