[Bug]Timeout or similar on load of view

Previously created a coordinate view with a graphic (PNG) on it. Designer seems to hang when I try to re-open it, but if I wait long enough, it times out or similar. Does not load. This is in the console in designer:

20:59:17.650 [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceEditor - null
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:332)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:54)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceEditor.commit(ResourceEditor.java:113)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.commit(ViewResourceEditor.java:155)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.notifyDeactivated(ViewResourceEditor.java:423)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.PerspectiveWorkspaceListener.editorSelected(PerspectiveWorkspaceListener.java:63)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace$2.stateChanged(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:83)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultSingleSelectionModel.fireStateChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.jidesoft.swing.JideTabbedPane$IgnoreableSingleSelectionModel.fireStateChanged(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultSingleSelectionModel.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndexImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
at com.jidesoft.swing.JideTabbedPane.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedComponent(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace.open(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:179)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.nav.ViewNode$DelayedOnSelect.run(ViewNode.java:329)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.EDTUtil$ProcessQueue.run(EDTUtil.java:122)
at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread “AWT-EventQueue-0” java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.notifyDeactivated(ViewResourceEditor.java:428)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.PerspectiveWorkspaceListener.editorSelected(PerspectiveWorkspaceListener.java:63)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace$2.stateChanged(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:83)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultSingleSelectionModel.fireStateChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.jidesoft.swing.JideTabbedPane$IgnoreableSingleSelectionModel.fireStateChanged(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultSingleSelectionModel.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndexImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
at com.jidesoft.swing.JideTabbedPane.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedComponent(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace.open(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:179)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.nav.ViewNode$DelayedOnSelect.run(ViewNode.java:329)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.EDTUtil$ProcessQueue.run(EDTUtil.java:122)
at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

This is with MacOS Mojave, used for traditional 7.9 Designers too, FYI. There are (seemingly) massive problems with views on this platform. Keep creating views, they don’t re-open, can’t switch between breakpoints, etc etc. And simpler issues- for example, no way to delete a component. See screenshot. LMK if you need more info. GW is running in the cloud on an Ubuntu Linux host.

Any response folks? Do you need more info from me on this?

Hi NorthPoint,

A number of us also use macs and are on Mojave, and we are not seeing the same thing. Can you provide us more info about your:

• version of macOs
  • 8.0 beta build version
  • more precise details about the timing (how long are you waiting?)
  • license state (trial or beta license?)
  • perhaps upload a simple project export

Clearly not the experience we expect, but we haven’t seen that same issue any time recently.

Definitely make sure you are staying up to date with the nightlies. There’s still a lot of work trickling into the beta on a regular basis as we continue to address reports and finish the big ticket items on the 8.0 roadmap.

Mojave 10.14.2 (18C54)
I have since updated the server with another nightly which does not have Perspective in it apparently, so I can’t re-test at the moment. However, I was working with the latest nightly available on the day I wrote the ticket, 1/2/19.

The timing seemed to be variable. It never actually reloaded the content, no matter how long I waited.

I am not sure what you mean by “beta license”- can we get a license for testing? Anyway, trial of course.

I will update with the latest today and see if I can repeat.

Update: I installed the latest. Perspective was available again, when I tried to open a previously created view, it timed out again (swirling pinwheel) for a few minutes before giving up. Then I created a new coordinate view with a simple non-dynamic tank on it, and tried to save. As you can see from the screenshot, I don’t think it is saving the view at all, actually- see message in lower left, and the view I created is not even open, but shows open in the tree.

In this thread is a beta license we are all using

Thanks Brian, I missed that.