CIP Connection Size Parameter

The considerations for AOIs that were exposed in this topic have been turned into a new, highly-optimized driver module. Beta announcement here:

Are there any AB PLC experts out there that can help my team find this setting? We have 3 CompactLogix PLCs are our plant. One of them seems to support CIP connection sizes larger than 500. The other two do not support anything larger than 500. Our PLC guy doesn't know why or which settings to change in order to support the larger connection size. I was hoping to point him to the exact menu/window in the software to change the setting. Thanks for the help.

It isn't configurable. Newer hardware and firmware support larger connections. When using ControlLogix with a comm card in the chassis, or routing through such, all hardware along the chain has to support it to be usable from Ignition. (My new driver automatically figures out the correct value for all but the oldest firmwares out there.) For Rockwell products, those that support more than 500 support 4000.

Thanks.

Is there anywhere in the Allen Bradley documentation where one can find out if the hardware is compatible with the larger CIP size. These PLCs are not that old.

I am able to use a larger CIP size on the CompactLogix 1769-L33ER. However, it doesn't seem to work on the 1769-L32E.

To be more specific, I can make the change in CIP size in Ignition, and the PLC looks like it is responding when I check the device status in Ignition. However, when I look at the tag values, Ignition says the data is bad. I'm not sure if this is the typical response that people get when hardware doesn't support the larger CIP size.

Thanks for your help.

Old enough to be discontinued...

What firmware version does your L32E have on it? Ideally you're on something older than 20.19 and using the legacy AB driver instead of the newer one meant for v21+.

Thanks Kevin. It looks like we are running the older firmware. I will switch to the legacy drivers and that should help out.

It will help performance, but it won't allow you to set a larger connection size. You need to give up on that for these older models.

Make sure they're not running 20.19, which is a firmware deadzone where you have to use the newer driver but you get terrible performance with it. You'll know either way because the legacy driver won't be able to read tags if the firmware is too new.

1 Like

Thanks Kevin. I'll see if we can make due. If not, I will make the case for an upgrade. I appreciate the help.