Coffee machines!

There's a good feed of IOT-gone-wrong, but with a very-slightly-nsfw name depending on your workplace sensibilities...

open for it

https://twitter.com/internetofshit

3 Likes

6 Likes

Awesome machine and built rock solid. Have been doing a pot a day for over 4 years with mine and still like brand new.

1 Like

Maybe not how you're thinking; it's more supporting the human that uses and implements them :slight_smile:

This is what I have at home

My next one will definitely be a Rancilio though! I couldn't say no to this one from a 2nd hand store for $350 when they retail for $2k Been going strong now for at least 13 years

There's a pro model which has a dual boiler (steam/brew) and temperature is PID controlled, but it's double the price or there about. Although you can get a PID for the non-pro, or you can build your own. I added an arduino-controlled 15min on timer for my kitchenaid to beep at me when I've left it on :smile: no PID at this stage

My parents have had their non-pro one for like 15 years. You will definitely notice the quality difference between one of these and say a similar Breville. The Breville will have more features, but the quality of the components are sub-par. You don't need fancy features to produce the best coffee.

One thing to note, you will need a burr grinder as well if you don't have one

That must be how you stay wired to reply to so many forum posts! :rofl: :+1:

1 Like

Missed that somehow. So very, very French. My in-laws all have them (cup top filter holders) for making "Americano", and my wife brought one into the marriage. Quebeçois use them, too.

It doesn't look like enough grounds in your example, though.

2 Likes

It’s 2 scoops in a larger cone meant for making more than one cup. Probably ends up a little weak, but pours through a little quicker.

2 Likes

I'm french and have never seen this.
The kind I see the most is this:

2 Likes

My wife has one of those, too. I don't recall it having "Made in Italy" printed on it.

Mine has it.
Actually it's the exact model pictured above.

1 Like

I've been using French press (I don't know If in France people call it French press) for most of my coffee-drinking life, one of the cheapest ways to make a good coffee. But probably more for home use rather than the office.

1 Like

Perhaps in france they just call it a press :slight_smile: Slightly related, but when I went to England I was surprised that English muffins were just called... muffins

5 Likes

Actually we call them "You know the kind of coffee maker that, you know.. you put everything together and... [makes pushing gesture] ... yea, that kind. Is it Italian ? No ?"

1 Like

I once briefly worked with a French contractor on a project, and gesturing ended up being the bulk of our communication.

This surprised me because I took French when I was in highschool, and for a while afterwards, I had a Canadian coworker that I practiced speaking French with. Later on when I was in Tunisia Africa, I found that I could effectively communicate with the locals using French, and I could discern what they were saying within the context of what we were doing at the time.

However, this was not the case for me when attempting to communicate in French with a person from who was actually from France. It was as if genuine French was a completely different language from the one I had been taught and had used abroad. Perhaps it had just been too long since I had been immersed in it, but it really did seem significantly different to me.

1 Like

French is what they speak in Quebec or some African countries (I actually spent the first years of my life in Abidjan, Ivory Coast).
In France, though... whole different thing.

2 Likes

This is what I use at home:

It's a Black & Decker with an insulated decanter that keeps the coffee piping hot for about six hours. I like it because there's no burner, and consequently, the coffee never gets burnt. However, since the decanter isn't clear, I have forget to empty it prior to starting the brew cycle on a couple of occasions while in a groggy morning state. As you can imagine, this produces a terrible mess when the decanter subsequently overflows, and understandably, this starts the day off on the wrong foot.

I have seen vacuum decanters with a sight glass on pricey industrial models, but honestly, this isn't a mistake that gets made very often, so it's probably not worth the considerably greater expense.

As for the actual coffee, I typically drink Folgers Gourmet Supreme.

It's like you need a cup of coffee before properly making coffee !
I once destroyed 2 coffee makers in a row. Mistakes I wouldn't make after my morning coffee.

1 Like

I don't drink Coffee. :astonished:

I do have a Coffe Maker, which I use to brew Tea.

I had one of those shatter - apparently a chip or scratch interacted badly with thermal shock. Almost boiling water and glass suddenly liberated made for quite the excitement, but no serious burns.
Now I only use the double walled SS ones.