Coming in 8.1.18: Script editor improvements

Re: @Bradley_Phillips on June 1st, comment 12.

Came here to say this!

Big fan of VS Code here. With all the work being done in VSCode + extensions, I feel I’ll always be disappointed by the designer editor.

That’s not meant to be a knock on IA team, I just think they have bigger fish to fry and the number of total hours spent developing VS Code (including community extensions) is probably staggering.

I wanted to point out that VS Code does have a remote development mode. Perhaps that technology could be used to edit scripts on the gateway? I really don’t know what the architecture for that would even look like. Just throwing it out there. Probably a IA backed extension for VSCode??

I’d pitch this as a way to give Ignition users a rich script editing experience that would probably even take some work off the IA team.

@PGriffith, anyone ever think of this kind of approach?

2 Likes

Here is a technical answer to how it would be done, though it doesn’t really call out if it’s on the docket. I would have to assume it’s sadly pretty far out. We are talking about practices that are likely the future of the product, but the team at IA are probably focused on the problems of today before that of tomorrow. Don’t get me wrong, this type of feature would revolutionize the platform, and I would be the first to adopt it. However It’s probably a ways out, unless there are some
Module dev gurus willing to take on the challenge of making this a module feature, if a module can even handle it.

@scottmwyant; see my post higher in this thread. There’s a lot of technical hurdles to giving external editors access to scripting. You can sort of do it right now, with the project library, but the way other areas of Ignition ‘bundle’ scripts into arbitrary resources is the main problem with attempting to edit other areas. Getting an external editor to ‘understand’ all the context of an Ignition scripting environment (and giving it access to bidirectionally update text in a script) is a big hurdle. That’s why I mention making the designer an LSP client; then it’s a lot easier to ‘offload’ autocomplete work to external programs that have all that time invested.

Definitely something we’re thinking about into the future, though.

1 Like

Agreed on all of the above. I do like the ability to modify the search string and to use regular expressions, but having to keep going back and forth between mouse and keyboard slows things down significantly.

1 Like

I just wanted to say that the addition of “intellisense” of user script library functions is incredibly useful! It’s a very nice creature comfort to have! :slight_smile: thanks for adding it!

7 Likes

Yes Big up to @PGriffith and the IA team for this great feature !

There is still a few room for small improvments…shortcuts, function comment generator, function list sort option, etc