Communication Issue with Allen Bradley PLC

Also, convert your continuous task, if any, to a suitably-paced periodic task. If there is no continuous task, all of the extra time is treated like a bigger comms time slice.

4 Likes

Out of curiosity, how are tag renames handled? Does it require a rebrowse since the tag names changed, even though I'm guessing the ID/handle stays the same behind the scenes.

When is Ignition just going to make you an offer you can't refuse to buy your driver and hire you to update it like you do now so it's just the default driver? LOL

Oy! :roll_eyes:

Have not explicitly tested that. I would expect it to require a rebrowse. (I would expect online edits to refuse that for anything in use.)

Phil’s driver isn’t doing anything we can’t do, it’s doing things we won’t do. Different approach to risk and more zeroes on the number of instances in production and the burden on support to consider.

I've renamed tags in use a lot due to various reasons. (One recently was a previous programmer named tags things like "Stage1Pressure" instead of "PIT_100" so it took forever to find tags I needed. So instead of breaking everything, I renamed original tags to meaningful tag names, and created alias names using the original names to the new names so that logic showed PID_100 but HMI still worked to talk to the aliased names.

Is there any realm of possibility to ever add "unsupported" features that may improve performance yet is under an advanced checkbox with a disclaimer that you're on your own if you use it?

On a side note, I had Rockwell by the other day and they were trying to push FT Optix and one thing they mentioned was that when they bought the product from ASEM that they replaced the reverse engineered driver with one using officially supported methods of polling data. I'd be curious if they're using internal undocumented methods or if they're sticking to what's publically shared. (I also sent them a 2-page list of questions of "how is this done" of things I am able to do with Ignition that I'm guessing I'll get a lot of "It's coming soon" answers with no promises). That was their answer for anything I asked during their presentation. They have a long ways to go to even come close to what Ignition is today.

2 Likes

I may noodle on AOI support under some kind of advanced opt in option after 8.3. Probably won’t do any of the class 1 or generic stuff he does not related to the standard Logix comms.

Most of the relevant public documentation for communicating with Logix 5000 devices can be found in this document: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm020_-en-p.pdf

1 Like

Don't you have a really long to-do list of other drivers before you could do this? wink

2 Likes