Driver Module Scope Best Practice

I set all of this up to instantiate the connections in the gateway scope and store them in a hash map so that I can access them via name. However now I am having issues recalling the instantiated connectors with rpc. I am getting an error that the object is not serializable, and from some light research I found this comment that signifies I am potentially doing something wrong here.

Currently I am instantiating and storing the connector instance in the gateway scope, and then getting it via its name and passing it back through RPC. Is the issue here that I am trying to execute all of my functionality in the common scope, and instead I need to move my functionality to the gateway scope and just add methods to reach it in the common scope? Or Is passing it back via something like the following just not the correct implementation:

@Override
    protected DatabaseConnector getDatabaseConnectorImpl(String connectionName) {
        return rpc.getDatabaseConnector(connectionName);
    }

Here is the stack trace as well if it helps:

Stacktrace
Caused by: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: class com.bwdesigngroup.neo4j.driver.DatabaseConnector cannot be cast to class java.io.Serializable (com.bwdesigngroup.neo4j.driver.DatabaseConnector is in unnamed module of loader com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.modules.ModuleClassLoader @451c1f9f; java.io.Serializable is in module java.base of loader 'bootstrap')
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:359)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:333)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:286)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.moduleInvokeSafe(GatewayInterface.java:905)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.ModuleRPCFactory$DynamicRPCHandler.invoke(ModuleRPCFactory.java:53)
	... 27 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: class com.bwdesigngroup.neo4j.driver.DatabaseConnector cannot be cast to class java.io.Serializable (com.bwdesigngroup.neo4j.driver.DatabaseConnector is in unnamed module of loader com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.modules.ModuleClassLoader @451c1f9f; java.io.Serializable is in module java.base of loader 'bootstrap')
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.gateway.functions.ModuleInvoke.invoke(ModuleInvoke.java:172)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.Gateway.doPost(Gateway.java:405)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.bootstrap.MapServlet.service(MapServlet.java:86)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder$NotAsyncServlet.service(ServletHolder.java:1391)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:760)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:547)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:590)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:235)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:1607)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:233)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1297)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:188)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:485)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:1577)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:186)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1212)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.rewrite.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:322)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerList.handle(HandlerList.java:59)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:146)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:500)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.lambda$handle$1(HttpChannel.java:383)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.dispatch(HttpChannel.java:547)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:375)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:270)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:311)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:103)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$2.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:117)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.runTask(EatWhatYouKill.java:336)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.doProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:313)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.tryProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:171)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:129)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:388)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:806)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:938)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(null)

Thanks for any help,
Keith