Dynamic drop down lists

Getting dangerously off-topic here, but for Windows I’ve never found a better tool than ShareX - it’s FOSS, does screen captures, GIF recordings, video recordings, and has a dizzying array of configuration options.

2 Likes

@PGriffith Thanks! I’ll have to check that out on my personal/surface. What is FOSS?

Free open-source software. Not a guarantee of quality by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely a selling point in this area where lots of offerings are full of malware, ads, watermarks, or other annoyances.

FFmpeg for the win!

i am using https://getsharex.com/ it opensource

try this https://getsharex.com/ amazing and open source

I prefer using a canvas and a charcoal pen

1 Like

Okay people help me out with this next issue:

I made my drop down options. I have all of them showing up or hidi ng based on conditional if/else statements:

If({Root Container.Group 2.Dropdown 11.selectedStringValue}=“Yes”,True,False)

What I did basically was group my options, and so based on if the user selects on or the other, the next level shows up. I have the groups sitting on top of eachother. It works, for the most part, but I need some way to “clear” it after usage, so that the entire page resets.

Suggestions on the fastest/easiest way to implement this feature?

Not to answer your question, but you could also replace this with simply:

{Root Container.Group 2.Dropdown 11.selectedStringValue}='Yes'

Can you show us what you did ?

While your answer is correct, including that would do the same thing, it doesn’t answer my question. Also, personally, the if statement is still going to be looking for what to do if false, so just as good practice, you should still include that. You never know when you will need to add nested statements in the future.

I did say that :smile:
Also, for readability's sake and reducing mental load, it's easier to comprehend shorter concise logic than overly verbose redundant logic, especially for things like this where there is only a true or false outcome. Take for example a slightly more complex expression:
!A and B or C

Adding this to an if statement would be meaningless and would more likely confuse rather than assist:
if(!A and B or C, True, False)

2 Likes

Hi Jess, would you be willing to still make that tutorial for Iteration 3? I am trying to accomplish the same thing, and am not sure how you set up the tags (i.e. their actual configurations as memory tags). Also, do you have three dropdown menus on-top of each other and only the one you want shows based on your selection in level 0? Or, is it one dropdown menu whose values actually change based on the selectedValue in Level 0? Thank you!

I know this is rushed, and it's been years, but I was put on a project whose funding closes in 5 business days--time is of the essence for me to figure this out. Thanks!

Is this for perspective or vision?
What's the source for the options in each dropdown ?

The usual way of doing this, at least in perspective, is to bind the options property of a dropdown to the value property of another one, and use this value to select a set of options - Maybe it's a parameter for a named query, maybe it's a key to fetch data in a dictionary or a dataset... there's a vast range of possibilities.

Also, if you're in a hurry, I'd suggest creating a new thread in the ignition category - this shouldn't have been in the "general discussion" category in the first place.

1 Like