[Feature-13432] Mobile Client - Bluetooth

Is it possible, either presently or as a planned feature, to tap into the mobile device’s bluetooth functionality? I feel like this would open up a full range of application possibilities. I do believe it is possible to do with javascript in HTML 5.

1 Like

‘Bluetooth’ covers a pretty wide range - is there a particular feature you were looking to take advantage of on the mobile device?

For instance: reading in packets from nearby bluetooth beacons (usually just a string identifier of the beacon). Or, a more complex scenario, two way communication between the mobile client and another nearby device (say a bluetooth enabled microcontroller).

It would be quite useful for the ignition client running on a mobile device to directly communicate with any nearby I/O device, or just load up some contextual information based on where the client device is currently located at on the plant-floor, based on the beacons. I’d say that reading bluetooth beacons is your baseline bluetooth application.

1 Like

@PGriffith let me know if you guys are considering such a feature and I can work out some possible use cases. I understand that bluetooth connectivity is like opening up a can of worms, but I think beacons are a pretty reasonable use-case, even if you just allow the client session to see the raw packet.

1 Like

Hi @smiano,

I’m not sure of the likelihood of adding this feature at the moment, but I have put in a ticket and will get back to you once I know more.

Thanks!

This feature was added in the 8.0.5 nightly build that was uploaded on 9/10.

Awesome. Any chance I can get a royalty or something?..