[FEATURE] Please bring back the old user-friendly tag editor

The other related thing here is copying and pasting tags. If you have 400 tags for example called T1000-T1500 where not all are contiguous, copying and pasting a new one of these tags is absolutely impossible to find as the pasted, auto-incremented tag isn't auto-selected. Unless you know exactly what T numbers don't exist, the only way to find what the new tag was auto-named to is to look at all of the tag parameters/props of the tags in the folder and look for the one where the params/props don't match the name of it. I most certainly have a number of rogue tags like this in some of my projects where I've pasted tags and I haven't been able to find them

5 Likes

@ray.

Can you please consider creating a user group to help weigh in on future product changes? I feel that there is a large enough user base out there to help you know how the product is being used. Perhaps utilize the Premier Integrators? Just a suggestion.

3 Likes

I’d be willing to participate for sure.

The addition of the nightly builds and the Ignition Early Access area should already facilitate this.

1 Like

I would have to disagree. I want to to have visibility into the more long term moves that are being considered. For example. If users would have been told ahead of time about the dropdown switching between providers, I would wager that a large number of users would argue against making that change.

1 Like

Currently the only such visibility is https://ideas.inductiveautomation.com but to me that is not the best organized list. I’d also like to see a more formal known bug list. I’ve run into issues that when I’ve asked on these forums it eventually ends up being a known bug.

Our efforts here are more fragmented than we’d like but we’re actively developing company-wide channels for direct user feedback on upcoming features and platform refinements.

In the meantime, sign up here to be included in my team’s user feedback outreach on a per-feature basis:
Ignition Usability Research Sign-Up

Also, keep your eyes peeled in the Early Access category, as we’re evaluating that as another channel for gathering your input on pre-release feature designs.

2 Likes

Done!

1 Like

I had the same problem. I now copy the tags to a seperate tag folder called copies so I can find the copied tags and then rename them and copy them back into the correct folder.

I am developing in 7.9 while training a new hire. I intend to upgrade to 8 but don’t want to deal with the growing pains while I am training.

1 Like

I just stumbled upon this post and it hits home. I’m working on a very large project buildout, and using this new tag editor is driving me a little crazy.

I absolutely agree with everything said above, especially not being able to edit bound properties inline anymore, and having the properties cut off after a certain character limit instead of scrolling. There’s no way to see what an item is bound to, or even edit it unless you select the tag, scroll down, select the property, select the binding icon, select “Edit”, then look at the binding. And you have to repeat the whole operation if you want to compare two tags within a UDT, and you have to close the whole window if you want to compare similar tags between two different UDTs. You can’t just select back and forth between tags and quickly eyeball the differences between the two to find a misspelling or an incorrect binding.

I also agree with @tordvd in that having two tag editors would be awesome. We have multiple tag providers going to multiple tag servers and swapping between the providers to look at something in a different area isn’t a quick process at all.

Having come from a fairly well built 7.9 installation and now working on a ~2 million tag project, this V8 tag editor is killing me with its inefficiencies.

Also, where did the OPC browser go? Why is it a separate window available only when using the tag browser and not a dockable item like before? I love that thing.

6 Likes

You can still get to it under View > Panels > OPC Browser.

I really didn't like this change either.

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

Also still available in the Panels icon:

You can still get to it, but at least for me in 8.1.0, it's blank... I have to use that new add devices browser

Off topic, but i'd be very interested in how you're setting this up. I have a site with a single server with ~130k tags that's significantly struggling with 6 cpu cores assigned to the VM. It was sitting at 25% until we started using Perspective, now it's at 90-100% with only 8 perspective clients :confused:

1 Like

Hmm, that doesn't sound right... we've loaded tests hundreds of Perspective client sessions.

Not that this is necessarily the cause, but if you have a large project and/or care at all about performance you'll stop using VMs. Real hardware for real projects :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will get support involved with this particular issue, I’ve just been so busy lately I haven’t been able to fit it in yet :cry: we’re upgrading to 8.1.3 as soon as it comes out as we need the fix to the touchscreen on-screen keyboard bug, so maybe this will help cpu? I can suggest to the customer about removing the VM layer, will see what they say. Cheers

Ah, and I don’t want to answer definitively for @cdowns, but if I were guessing I’d say that’s either 2 million tags in a multi-remote-provider set up or with the majority of the tags being external somehow, e.g. MQTT or external OPC UA server(s).

I need to get my head around using remote tag providers as I’ve never had to use them before. I presume to access their tags from the Views they just have a different tag provider as part of the tag path? [remote-TP]path/to/tag?