Full stops in tagnames

Full stops are used as delimiters in both tag and property bindings. There’s simply no way accommodate them in tag names.

Full stop.

4 Likes

I don't have that issue. Our applications are similar to PlantPax in that they use a tag, label, and description used throughout for things like alarm labels.

I’m not familiar with PlantPAX (heard of it but not used - I just know there are like 600-800 tags for a single analogue transmitter - 20 AIs on a page = 12,000 tags - and that it affects client and network performance due to subscribing to so many tags, from what i’ve heard)

Where are your label and description stored? are they in tags or in associated properties of the opc tag? Or something else?
How do you define your alarm properties, out of interest?

I use
Name: name of the alarm, e.g. “Failed to Start”
Label: the descriptive name of the device to which the alarm is attached + its equip id e.g. “PU12003 - Pump 1”
Display Path: the area and sub-area to which the device belongs e.g. “Tank Farms White Sparkling” or “Tank Farms White Sparkling T2344”

Then I can display alarms with as much or as little information that I need, based on where it’s shown:
Main alarm summary: all 3 Display Path | Label | Name
Device popup: Name only
Group of devices popup (e.g. a Tank which has multiple nested devices): Label | Name

Don’t mean to hijack…

I don’t use PlantPax, just stole some of their ideas, which I’m sure they stole from someone else.

Labels and descriptions can either be stored in the PLC or HMI. When using Ignition, I store in the HMI, if I’m forced to use FTrash, I store in the PLC.

Example, analog high alarm:
Tag = typically the name of the base tag in the PLC/HMI
Desc = Brief description of the device
Name = Alarm Hi
Label = Tag + High Alarm
Display Path = Tag + Desc + High Alarm