Gateway Restart Troubles & Complications after upgrade to 7.9.9

IA Support's response to the ticket I submitted, for what it's worth:

This is a fairly common behavior, the first thing the Service does is check to see what version Java is installed on the host machine. There is a timeout built into that request if java on the host machine does not respond the service fails to start. This happens typically when the server is still starting its processes and Java hasn't fully initialized yet. The easiest implementation to prevent this is by using the "Windows task scheduler" to add a delay to the service start. Alternatively, there is also a wrapper argument that can be added to increase the allotted timeout.

This can be added to the Ignition.conf file located in the data directory of the gateway. Please let me know, thank you.

wrapper.startup.timeout=30

That could go along with the idea that the second one too start has less resources to work with and takes a little longer. Did increasing the delay resolve the issue for you?

It’s nice to be able to increase the timeouts, but the wrapper log clearly states that your service is being starved of CPU time. You can’t expect IA to properly fix under-powered infrastructure with a magic wand. /:

@witman - I haven’t implemented the change, and have no good way to test at the moment as the issue has only occurred when the entire server has rebooted (not just the VM).

@pturmel - Agreed. Increasing the wrapper time is just a band-aid, and doesn’t address the underlying issue. I submitted the issue to IT, the ball is in their court.