How to set Java (Designer) to use 100% screen scaling without changing Windows setting?

Debugging overrated, just write bug free code :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Hah! Extremely unlikely.

No debugging (full disclosure: I don’t think debugging is possible within the designer, we’d need to have an entirely separate program and accept that debugging means hanging the EDT).

A lot of what’s coming is foundational stuff on the backend that’s more about paving the way for future enhancements, but I think what’s landing in this first draft is still enough to be excited about. Waiting on a final QA pass now, and then it’ll get into a nightly and I can make a larger post about what’s being changed and added.

10 Likes

Hi Kevin. Is there an equivalent solution or 'escape hatch' for this for Perspective Workstation? We usually get our clients to go to 100%, but we're finding people with 13" laptops don't want to go to 100% as it's too small and would prefer to leave the OS at 150%, but obviously want to see Perspective properly at 100%.

You should be able to supply the jvm param into perspective workstation to force it to use 1.0 scaling

Actually maybe I'm dreaming..

Workstation should scale just fine, what problems are you seeing?

The page is cropped at 150%. At 100% it looks perfect.

Is it cropped when viewed in Chrome on the same PC with the same scaling?

Sorry. So it doesn't 'crop' it as such. at 150% windows scaling, the perspective workstation makes the client look like it's zoomed into 150%. As if you ran it up on Chrome (with OS at 100%), and zoomed in to 150%. To answer your question, if I set OS scaling to 150% and open up Chrome, it's the same phenomenon as workstation, I would then have to zoom out to like 67% to make it look ok.

I don't know offhand if there's anything you can do... I do know the settings in this thread are for the Designer and don't apply to you.

Try support and see if they've run into an issue like this before. That you're seeing the same thing in Chrome indicates things are technically working, so not sure what's next.

Things tend to look and render different when scaling is being applied, and if you built a UI that is fixed widths instead of dynamic/reactive you may have a problem.

Thank you, @Kevin.Herron . I agree that everything is technically working. I was hoping there was a setting in perspective workstation that would force the zoom to 100% (and essentially ignore the windows scaling) @PGriffith any ideas? I can try support as well.

I think I had the same dream too :rofl:

1 Like

I'm using Ubuntu Budgie, Ignition 8.1. The designer is really hosed with a 28" display, 3840x2160 resolution, 125% scaling. I wanted to keep the display scaling set at 125%, so I can actually see everything else.
I tried and modified the jvm argument in the designer launcher and got the designer to work great with:
-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2.0
Thanks for getting me most of the way there!

I have reached out to support and I have "Unfortunately there is no immediate solution to this that I can think of outside of either maintaining 100% scale in Windows, like you said, or using the web browser. If you want, you can submit a feature request" which his fair enough

I have submitted a feature request here, please upvote it if you get a chance :slight_smile: