How to update a pop-up screen in Ignition Perspective

Ok, but you’re saying that the manual button isn’t visible when auto mode is enabled? but when manual mode is enabled, the auto button is visible?

The Manual button is visible in auto modus, but it is doing nothing when i already change the status to auto mode. I hope the screenshot helps to understand the problem. But yeah I don’t know why it is not possible to press the ‘Hand’ button after pressing the the ‘Auto’ button in the same section, only reopening will fixed it, but this is not common to do.

Sorry for all the messages, I hope i’ve made it a bit clearer with the picture

I saw the perspective videos and followed the steps to create popup windows using the prescribed method to do so only to find out later that they don't actually update/ refresh. The videos should be updated to either mention this shortcoming in the beginning or provide an example on how to do it so it updates regularly. as this is a very common function in other systems. This has caused a lot of rework on my project. Could you send me a video on how to pass parameters etc to the faceplate so it updates as this is not apparent in any of the videos

Do you mean you want something like passing a parameter to a popup, and having this parameter update while the popup is open ?

If so, can you describe a bit more accurately what data you want refreshed and where it comes from ?

You cannot. You would need to pass a string tagpath and use indirect binding inside the popup view.

It can work for embedded views because they coexist with the view they are contained within. Popups are independent.

All view parameters are only read once on loading the view. It's not a shortcoming - it's by design.

I'm pretty sure I know what video you're talking about and I've said it before, but it should be taken down, as it's shocking advice. It's the one that prescribes you to create params for each tag you want to pass in and then bind the tags values to them. Of course in this case, you're passing the tags' values to the template/popup/view then instead of a link to the tag itself, and therefore you have no ability to get updates for the values, nor write back to them if needed, nor read other props from them. I'll see if I can find the vid, unless you have a link.

Edit: It looks like the video was replaced, either that or I just haven't found where it is yet. The IU video on opening parameterised Perspective popups, while it demonstrates passing a string value into a popup, is not particularly useful for any real-world application. There really needs to be a video describing passing a UDT instance tagpath to the popup and then indirectly binding to the tags within the instance in the popup :confused: (and do a similar one for Vision as well to replace in conjunction to the one about passing the UDT instance type parameter, as UDT Type parameters are not recommended by integrators due to their shortcomings).

5 Likes

Thanks for the idea! Not certain how we missed that, but I'll add it to the queue.

3 Likes