IBM AS400 Database connection

Thanks for helping out Bryan! Also, a great example of Stack Overflow to the rescue.

Absolutely ... I sent an e-mail to a friend ... an hour or two later with no real response, I figured I'd just post the question on StackOverflow ... literally less than 2 minutes passed before I had an answer!

Here is what I put in the “Default Validation Query” field.

Select 1 from sysibm.sysdummy1

Thought this may help someone.

I am now trying to get it to show different data library’s… Grrrrr

Curious … when you set up the driver, what translator did you use?

The generic translator.

It is connected fine. I am still working on this piece of the project as a whole. It got pushed way down the list, but its creeping back towards the top again… LOL

What is the proper way to look at the JTOpen driver (JT400.JAR) and determine the version, so we know if there is an update needed?

If you open up jt400.jar in a good compression utility (I recommend 7-zip for windows), navigate to the META-INF directory and open up the MANIFEST.MF file in a text editor. You’ll find the JTOpen version in there. Looks like the current version is 7.4

Thought I would throw this out for info.

When I updated to 7.3.1 I had to install the JTOPEN driver again. Then all worked fine. Not sure of cause 100% as I done some server upgrades at same time…

Ya, I know… I know better then to do two updates at same time :blush:

By the way, the JDBC class is:

com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver

I was having this same problem today but the steps in this thread did not resolve it. What was missing was, I needed to create a new database translator under Databases -> Drivers -> Translators and configure it using the properties outlined in the Ignition user manual here:

https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/DOC81/JDBC+Driver+and+Database+Translator+Settings#JDBCDriverandDatabaseTranslatorSettings-IBMDefaultTranslatorSettings

The fields that were different from the default values were:

Default Validation Query

Auto Increment Field Definition
Primary Key Syntax
Limit Syntax
Current Timestamp Query
Supports Returning Auto-generated Keys?
Fetch Key Query

Datatype Mapping: Datetime, Binary, LongText

Hope this helps!

1 Like