Ignition Perspective symbol factory animation

So this would be apply to an embedded SVG to get it back out of igntion again? That would be super useful

Who has the budget to mess around with this method? The basic drawing tools in Vision could produce good results, and given the popularity "modern" themes of flat design and "High Performance" HMI design you don't need a dedicated drawing package to make clean/modern looking screens. I get complimented all the time with my Vision projects. As @Steve_Laubach points out in Perspective you can turn the label component into shapes and get similar results as with Vision drawing tools. Vision makes it easer to do color gradients with it's color picker and is easier to break apart symbol factory objects to remove the busy layers to clean them up with great results.

Personally I think the symbols included in Perspective Workstation are just marketing fluff. They aren't useful on anything more than basic process. Food/Bev has so many different valve configurations I don't see IA possibly covering them all. There has to be a built mechanism to draw shapes like with vision, Perspective Workstation is the beginning of the end of Vision so it can't take a step backwards by not being able to do everything Vision does.

1 Like

I never said I had the budget, I just have the passion or maybe the stupidity to spend time out of hours :slight_smile:

HPHMI and the ASM standards are certainly the guidelines I use in my applications and graphics. I haven't used gradients and complex graphics in years, but still I would never use the designer for graphics more complex than a rectangle, straight line, or circle, as the designer (in vision) lacks bezier and even basic vertex manipulation tools (you can drag vertices around, but good luck trying to get them aligned or in the right positions without being able to use the keyboard or axes constraints)

3 Likes

Iā€™m checking out imported SVG like @nminchin is talking about and I agree that itā€™s definitely a superior way to go from an overhead standpoint. Thereā€™s a bit of a learning curve on Inkscape but it has good features.

So all that textbox/style stuff I did in that other example can be done by creating a custom SVG in inkscape, importing it into Ignition and animating it using tint/color. Itā€™s not as nice as Ignitionā€™s animated symbols but itā€™s good and itā€™s a lot less overhead than 5 textboxes per device. So I would say a tinted imported SVG would be a decent work around if you need more colors than the Perspective symbols currently support and you donā€™t want to worry about a future Ignition upgrade screwing up your app.

The imported SVG stuff has come a long way since I last looked at it. Iā€™ve been doing a lot of Vision projects lately. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s more to this than Iā€™m describing here considering I taught myself inkscape and figured out how to integrate that with perspective this morning. So Iā€™m saying I havenā€™t dug that deeply into where the limits are with this approach.

One massive benefit that I can see is that as far as I can tell, SGVs are cached, whereas other components arenā€™t. This alone provides significant performance improvements.

SVG is a better way for graphic for me! I draw everything with its help!

see how it looks. It's SVG only!)):

1 Like