Ignition User Manual updates

Can they just put the old URL back in place so all the links still work?

The thing that is important to me is to have the search function on the left side above the index if possible.

I did not even know there was a search on the right side of the old manual.

1 Like

Like I said I'm sure I can get used to the documentation and then things will seem like 'literally 3 clicks' at some point in the future. But that is an unfair characterization of the experience when you are not familiar with the docs and relying on the plain text of the link to navigate you where you are trying to go because the back links through google are all broken. The dropdowns may have always been this way as Paul pointed out but I never had to rely on them before.

Every option branches off in to more options as nearly all file structures do. 3 layers deep gives you like a 1% chance of guessing where to go. you might as well characterize the lottery as 'literally 5 numbers'. Also, it's actually a couple layers deeper than three.

You have to rely on the descriptive text of the link. I think the fact that this core documentation is under 'appendix' speaks to my criticism. Why not Modules -> Perspective -> components ? Which would have been a more natural route in my opinion.

Anyways, I'm not gonna dwell on it. I'm sure there is an absolute ton the devs have considered that I will never know about. Thanks for finding the link I needed. I just wanted to share my frustrating experience with the devs for feedback.

2 Likes

Just to reiterate, we do appreciate the feedback. Thanks again for sharing your input, and don't be shy if you have more thoughts.

1 Like

The recent update to the online manual. All links to it are busted. Posting for awareness. I was using it yesterday. Clicked on a forum post and it can't find the new info.

1 Like

Perhaps you should read the topic you are posting in?

Ok, not on them. But suggests they didn't even look at recent topic subject lines. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I closed a new post he made and moved this one in here. Discourse didn't do a good job of making that clear.

5 Likes

I prefer this

vs

I also prefer this

vs this

Though I do have crazy good 20/21 vision in my eyes.

14 Likes

Perhaps this topic should be globally pinned instead of just pinned in the Ignition category.

1 Like

I agree with that. On a positive note, I like that when I am looking in, say, system.date.*Between, I can click on the nav at the top to go back to system.date

I agree with this, particularly with the system function and expression language documentation as you noted. Most of the documentation now seems excessively large and requires a lot of scrolling where that was not the case before.

1 Like

Had no idea. I use dark mode on everything.

I'm gonna guess you aren't yet 40, where many people start experiencing presbyopia. Dark mode can exacerbate eyestrain in the very earliest stages of presbyopia.

Just say NO to dark mode.

6 Likes

Just turned 38. I guess I better stop. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I generally agree with you about dark mode (I don't use it), but it's the only theme customers have approved for heads-up displays in well-lit areas, especially with direct sunlight. Whenever I used a light theme, customers always complain about not being able to see anything on the screen during the day and having the displays use a dark theme helps tremendously. Otherwise, I would agree.

1 Like

I just noticed the new docs website, since my bookmarked URLs are getting 404s.
I suppose setting up 301 Permanent Redirect for old URLs is out of the question?

I find the scripting reference page worse than before, like someone above me said.
It'd be cool to have something more akin to devdocs.io.
Actually, I might look into integrating the new docs site into it..

UDP: could devdocs.io add Ignition's docs? It seems a permissive license or explicit permission is required, I think.

Just a heads up, we did deploy a new build, with some modifications, including to the search.

In short, it wasn't prioritizing headers/titles, which is what the old platform did. So we switched things around, and that seems to help with finding pages by name. I think there's a lot more to be done in regards to weighing certain results, but it's a small steps.

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone! Let us know if you have more.

2 Likes

Maybe? TBH I'd have to look into it more, but I'm a little preoccupied with the launch. :sweat_smile:

All that said, happy to consider it