Ip camera viewer

Will the ip camera viewer display a RTSP stream? If not, then why not? An old standard MJPEG stream is useless to most customers, and it appears users have been asking for newer stream flexibility for several years.

I’d appreciate any help here. We are evaluating Ignition for purchase and the ip cam viewer is important to our decision makers.

Thanks again,

John

I can get on board with a newer camera viewer that supports newer video streams.

Does anyone from Inductive Automation have any input or suggestions here?

Thanks,

John

We’d love to get newer streaming formats into Ignition’s viewer component somehow but there simply aren’t any options that are technically feasible at the moment.

Java doesn’t have any native support for these newer formats and nobody writes codec implementations in anything but C/C++.

What that leaves us with is trying to integrate one of the libraries that uses native code to bridge between one of the open source libraries like VLC or FFMPEG. The problem with these is that they are complicated and brittle, and when they crash they crash hard, taking down the whole JVM with them.

VLCJ-pro seems to be a possible solution with out of process media player and a separate JVM.
capricasoftware.co.uk/#/projects/vlcj-pro
Not pure Java, and vlc or part of it needed on client side…

[quote=“mazeyrat”]VLCJ-pro seems to be a possible solution with out of process media player and a separate JVM.
capricasoftware.co.uk/#/projects/vlcj-pro
Not pure Java, and vlc or part of it needed on client side…[/quote]

Of everything I’ve seen, this has the most promise. But it’s pretty complex and would take a lot of work to engineer away the need for VLC to be installed on clients.

Any news on this? It 2017 now… :point_up:

2 Likes

Kindly update about this topic, as i am stuck with a full project using DSE cameras which uses RSTP to view cameras, and i need to view it on ignition ASAP

Thanks in advance!

Are there other options available, such as mp4?

What is the (Streaming address(example: http;//10.0.0.40/streaming/channels/1/picture) of that camera? - Can you provide a model #?)

Any word on the RTSP???

The IP Camera Viewer component does not yet (and may never) support RTSP. A possible work-around:

I haven't had and pressure to do the v8 version of this yet, but it is on the to-do list. After the holidays, perhaps.

2 Likes

Where’s this module? We need to integrate the camera image.

This is a third party module (by me). Did you follow the link to the other topic where it was announced?