Micro820

I agree, Allen Bradley is pushing this controller to take over their Micrologix series. It would be a smart move for Ignition to have a driver for this controller.

3 Likes

We built the control system (logic, PID, alarming) of this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrJ7cYa0_sI) very fast and efficient machines using micro 850. We connected them to Ignition via Modbus TCP. After that, we used, even more, micro 820/850 to different Ignition projects. It will be nice to have Ignition driver for the micros. For low budget applications, they are nice controllers.

3 Likes

I agree, we use 100ā€™s of these controllers in the oilfield!!

2 Likes

Micro 800 are piece of crap. Itā€™s not real AB. Better use Omron or Automation Direct. CCW is a very bad (and Sā€¦Lā€¦Oā€¦W) software.

If you are stuck with it, you can still use Kepware instead of modbus.

That is your opinion! Now hereā€™s mine.

I work in the Oilfields, and we have hundreds of the Micro800 series installed and running, They have been running now for around 5 years! (Let me tell you, if they hold up in the oilfield they will hold up on the plant floor or anyplace else you may want to put them).

We use them as ā€œEdge of Network MQTTā€ devices for Ignition SCADA and there has been nothing that I have not been able to make these units do.

I love these units, I enjoy programming with CCW (V12), and they are very cost-efficient.

I can interface to Schneider VFDā€™s and Eaton VFDā€™s and of course Allen Bradley.

For me these unitā€™s have been a life saver!!!

1 Like

Old thread, but can we have that something in the works? Due to low cost I am seriously looking at the 820 to roll out across 30+ production lines, but I donā€™t want to paint myself into a corner eitherā€¦

Consider this another +1 for 820/850 Micro compatibilityā€¦

1 Like

Modbus TCP worked for me. However, you will need to go into advanced settings when setting up the driver in Ignition and check the box to reverse your word order; at least when reading multiple register variables like floats.

For anyone interested check out tani opc-server/plc-engine, has full support for the micro800 and does browsing and everything. I use tani opc-server for the 800 and s7-1200s as it supports browsing and just drag and drop tags and itā€™s really well priced and very good support. I have gone away from the 800s as software is so slow and buggy, CCW wonā€™t even install on 2 of my PCs and have to use a VM and AB support couldnā€™t help and said I will have to stick to the VM which is terrible support. I find the s7-1200 far better once I got my head around tia portal and a lot more powerful and roughly same sort of price and can do online editing. Here is a few vids on how easy tani is to setup and hope it helps everyone who has found the annoying limitations of the micro800s modbus

+1 for the request to add the proper EIP driver for the 820/850 Micros please.

1 Like

Add me to the list for a request of a driver for the Micros.
I was able to connect using the allen bradley Logix driver. I havenā€™t been able to read a tag yet, but the path might look something like this for a global variable called ā€œAI_MINā€ the path shown in the controller is Controller.Micro850.Micro850.AI_MIN

Plus one, more so because the CCW Modbus mapping is so clunky. I didnā€™t watch any demoā€™s before using my first one, but as far as I can see you have to add them one register at a time?

Youā€™re not going to get anywhere trying to use the Logix driver. You have to set up a Modbus mapping and use the Modbus driver. Or use one of the 3rd party OPC servers mentioned in this thread.

Iā€™m trying to get a Micro850 driver onto the roadmap this yearā€¦

1 Like

Good stuff Kevin, will it work with others (e,g, Micro820), or exclusive to the 850 processor range?

It should work with whatever 8xx models have ethernet.

2 Likes

+1 for the request to add the proper EIP driver for the 820/850 Micros please.

According to the ideas page, itā€™s not going to happen. Other than ease of configuration, thereā€™s no benefit to using EIP over MODBUS.

https://ideas.inductiveautomation.com/ignition-features-and-ideas/p/driver-for-allenbradley-micro800-series.

Hmm. It does say that, doesnā€™t itā€¦

I think we are going to do it eventually, thereā€™s just other priorities ahead of it.

1 Like

Hi, I have a question about Micro820 Modbus mapping, do I need to do anything from mapping to connect ignition ??

I need your help: I am trying to connect Micro 820 to my ignition but I donā€™t know how?
Do I need to do anything in the Modbus mapping section?

Create your tag mapping in CCW, then in Ignition either use the bulk creator (found in devices section of gateway) or add them one by one by creating new tags in Designer

2 Likes