Mobile computer with barcode scanner

Carl, any update on the barcode module? We’ve got a definite need for it on a couple of upcoming projects. Thanks!

The barcode module is still a work in progress. Carl is still working on the module and states that it might be a matter of weeks.

Excellent! Thanks for the update, Greg.

No problem! :thumb_left:

Hey Greg/Carl, Just wanted to see if you had any updates on the barcode scanner module. Thanks!

Bump. :slight_smile:

I talked to Carl and he said that he will be working on it.

I talked to Carl recently about bluetooth scanners. You would be able to use a bluetooth enabled scanner with a bluetooth mobile client and the scanner would act as a keyboard input on the mobile client. Thought I would throw that out there. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the update, Greg. I would desperately love to switch to a mobile platform that would let me use a bluetooth scanner and just roll with it, but IT has Motorola scan guns elsewhere in the plant and doesn’t want to deviate from what they are already using. The good news it, the fix to the focus issues over here may solve my issues, at least in the short term. Just gotta download the RC and try it out.

Ok everyone, the barcode scanner that I’ve been teasing you all about for a while now is finally up on the marketplace!

marketplace.inductiveautomation. … oduleId=76

Be forewarned: it is very simplistic! You simply navigate your barcode scanner to a url ([tt]/main/system/bc-scanners/scanner_ID[/tt]) and scan things, at which point a python script is called so you can do whatever you want with the scanned info. You can find the docs for the module under Configure / Modules when it is installed.

This module was made in association with Step7 for a fairly specific purpose, so I’m curious how generally-applicable it will prove to be. Please let me know how it’s working for you if you choose to use it.

Hi,

I am currently working with a similar requirement, we have on the bench and are testing with a Datalogic PM8300DK wireless scanner which uses its own proprietary Wireless between the cradle and scanner, the communications between the cradle and Ignition is via Serial, but the scanner has a 4 line 16 character display and a small keypad which we can return messages to the user and script user responses to inputs on the keypad.

datalogic.com/eng/products/a … d-186.html

These may be worth a look as there is no requirement to run an operating system on the scanner and they qualify as being ‘rugged’ with very fast boot up times.