Money Talk - Perspective vs Vision Modules

However I wonder how some people have integrated some third party javascript dash board libraries (like ApexCharts) in perspective!

They wrote a module.

Module in React or as in Ignition? I thought Ignition modules work on gateway. Not sure how they work in client!

An Ignition module for the gateway can provide supplemental resources (components/javascript/etc) for the browser plus the java backend “glue” to make it work as if a seamless part of Perspective. See the corresponding example in the github examples repo.

{ It is not simple. }

1 Like

Thanks for the clarity. Indeed perspective has become complex (though easy to use and power packed). Its client server interaction is also different from traditional HTTP request/response model, with client-side component scripts running on gateway and support for native mobile APIs on clients etc! I guess it uses websockets for C/S communication.

Of course, webDev module exists for those who want to use traditional HTTP web model with any client frameworks of their choice and plethora of JavaScripts and jquery and Ignite type of libraries, but integration with tags, Alarms, DB access, History data from gateway and authentication and authorization would have become extremely difficult.

If all client/server communication was based on OPC UA (like HDA, A&E, security/ login etc not just tag subscription, read/write). perhaps it would have been possible write your own client using all the HTML and associated frameworks. But I don’t know how we would have used these client server based OPC UA libraries from within a browser! Perhaps OPC UA libraries could have been used over websockets (don’t know if its possible) ? Perhaps OPC PubSub could have helped to some extent!

You should only use perspective to justify the cost.
You can use workstation app of perspective so it look like vision native application.

I usually use third party software to lock the windows so operator can’t minimize or close perspective.

For 5 client you can use limit version of perspective which is about 6K.

I used to use VISION and love it but after switching to Perspective I can’t imagine to use VISION again.
The only thing for you use perspective sussesfully is learn CSS.

By the way Iconics web technologies is not responsive it only render all object as a big SVG for you, so the end result is not good compare to perspective.

4 Likes

Perspective is almost like an app builder framework not just a SCADA interface!

FIFY

Indeed, but perspective makes mobile apps possible and there is no app without mobile interface these days, so I said perspective! Backend data base and notifications etc are taken for granted.