New (Old) Feature: Tag Editor

@bill.hyland, I want to try and understand the history of these tags. Did they originally come from 7.9 in some form (directly via upgrade, import from a 7.9 export)? I am not seeing the issue you are reporting unless the property being adjusted in the UDT Definition actually had an override prior to the change.

What I am thinking has happened is the security permissions were touched in a way where a property record got created for these records in the database (any override in 7.9 caused all properties you are noting to get overrides attached). When this happens on a UDT instance, Ignition will see that as an override. We have had talks about ways to resolve this issue, but this problem likely would have been there prior to the changes to the Tag Editor. These unintended overrides is something we wanted to expose with the new Tag Editor as it was happening quite a bit.

As for how to fix it (if that is indeed the problem). In 8.1.19 we are including a feature called the Tag Report tool. This tool will allow you to search for specific properties being overridden and return results that you can modify en masse if you so choose.

Garth

@cmason we could definitely use this i suspect. A much needed tool with all the horrible issues with overrides in the new 8.1 updates.

Garth:

The tags were generated in 8.1.14, redundant pair, with the servers running as VMs under, I believe VSphere. The tags were generated off platform as XML files, then imported into the project. The UDT, EM_Core, was already in the project. I modified the Security properties in the EM_Core UDT after testing revealed I had neglected to set write permission for the particular tag supported by EM_Core.

The Tag Report tool you mentioned will be a valuable addition when troubleshooting tags. I am hoping our customer will go for the upgrade prior to validation testing!

image001.png

Bill,

Any chance you can DM me the XML file that was used? I would like to try and understand what happened here.

Garth

One thing thatā€™s missing is the ability to bulk-change the props of multiple selected UDTs. I want to bulk disable particular tags on a selection of UDT instances that donā€™t have particular tags, but at the moment I canā€™t do that. All I can bulk change are the very basic props of the UDT instances themselves, like disabling the entire UDT instances.
I imagine this would work by only showing the the tags that are common to all selected UDT instances. In my case the type ids are all the same so all tags should be shown. However, thinking about it, showing them all regardless would be more ideal and maybe greying out those that arenā€™t in all selected.