OPC-DA to RSLinx Classic (Emulated PLC)

I’ve never setup OPC-UA before, what’s the procedure? Do you set it up on the FT Linx Gateway or FT Linx? I noticed with FT Admin Server when you right click and chose ADD NEW SERVER you have the options of FT Linx, OPC-DA or OPC-UA.

FT Linx GW 6.11 configuration displays setup for both UA and DA.

Hey dwoo... I hope your results are better than mine.

I’m using an OPC-DA Connection and RSLinx OPC Server (Rslinx Classic 4.11) instead of the OPC_UA.
I didn’t have time to debug Rockwell’s software.

If you have problems with the tags, and you can’t write/read the values of the tags, try this. It probably helps you.

NOTE THIS IS FOR IGNITION 7.7 DON’T KNOW IF THE NEWER VERSIONS HAVE THIS…
In the OPC-COM server configuration, there’s an OPC Setting called “Use Async Operations”. I unchecked this setting and after that, I can read/write the tags without any problem.

2 Likes

Guys, for any OPC issues, use OPC Expert by OPCTI! Not only is this the best OPC troubleshooting software I have EVER used, it natively handles conversion from legacy OPC protocols to OPC UA.

View | trend | redundancy | bridge | tunnel | excel | calculate | archive | monitor | trigger

Literally ANY OPC hurdle you need to get over, this little tool makes it so simple.

Another great feature is that once you browse to the tags you want to capture data for, you can simply drag or copy and paste into Excel, and using Excel’s RTD function (Real-Time Data, the successor to the old DDE) it will give you real-time data (even at 100ms if you want) right in your spreadsheet.

I’ve used it to get OPC UA data from inside a VM running RSLogix Emulate, and anyone that’s tried that will tell you it’s a severe pain in the a$$. And then I used the tool to create a “write calculation value” (using either Random, Ramp, Sine generators) and simulated a live process!

4 Likes

I just tried using this, looks good, however do you know the default OPC-UA username/password to connect to it? I couldn’t seem to find it documented anywhere…

Hi, is still available kit developer tool?
When I try to find it in opcfoundation.org it seems to be removed. Do you know where can I get it?
Thanks,

Any updates to this with the latest version of Ignition? I have RsLogix Emulate500 (not 5000) running on a VM and I can't get it to connect through the Micrologix device connection or through the guide listed above. When I select to go through OPC DA, the only option is "other server."