OPC-DCOM Stability Problems

Ignition 7.5.4 is now available on our website. This does include the latest Allen Bradley driver, and it is not the beta version.

OK thanks. I’ll try the new version and see if problems persists. I’ll keep you informed about the results.

We tried to install version 7.5.4 but it didn’t work so well. After installation it shows a warning and when Ignition try to restart it shows an error. I’ve tried to go back to version 7.5.3 but i get the same messages.
Please i need an answer as soon as posible.

I think that Java somehow got corrupted, uninstalled, etc. Can you try re-installing java? You should be able to run “java -version” from the command line to see what’s installed. If there are multiple versions of Java installed, you may need to tell Ignition which one to use. This can be done by editing “ignition.conf” in “{InstallDir}\data”, and changing the “wrapper.java.command” line. However, since it was previously working, I doubt this is necessary. We have seen some issues, however, with the java auto-update system, so perhaps it’s just a coincidence that it happened along with the upgrade.

If possible, feel free to call into support and someone can help you interactively over GoToMeeting.

Regards,

Thanks for your answer. I have reinstaled Java and now i can initiate Ignition Gateway without problems.
If it is a coincidence it’s a big one because i was working with Ignition just a moment before i upgraded it and it was ok.

Regards.

Hi,

I’ll forward this on to the installer guys and see what they think. I believe the installer does try to install java if it doesn’t detect it, so something must have gone wrong there.

Regards,

We were able to replicate this error with the installers. We are testing a fix, and if all goes well, we will upload 7.5.4 again with updated installers.

Bad news, we are running Ignition 7.5.4 and we are having the same problem with RSLinx. Do you think this problem is going to get solved soon or should i start thinking in changing to another OPC? Which OPC do you recomend to work with Ignition?

Hi,

It is unlikely that any problems with RSLinx would be fixed quickly, as they are rather hard to track down. If you are still having problems with the Ignition Allen-Bradley drivers, we can work to resolve them more quickly (some issues have come up already with 7.5.4, so we’re working on that).

If you want to try a different OPC server, we recommend Kepware. They support OPC-UA, so you won’t need to use COM. You can run the server in demo mode to try it out.

Regards,