OPC-UA Connection to Siemens PLC Faulting After Upgrade

You bet; will have the files on the server soon and will send link and password via email to support and PM.

1 Like

Well, your 8.1.2 backup shows that both of your OPC UA connections have failover enabled with no additional configuration.

But it also looks to me like you came from 7.9 and had once used the OPC UA Next module. I wonder if somewhere along the lines those failover bits got set when the Next module was phased outā€¦

edit: no, maybe not the OPC UA Next module, but you did come from 7.9 at some point right?

Yes, this was originally developed in 7.9.x and in place upgraded multiple times since. The OPC-UA connections were working in 8.1.2 just before this upgrade. I have some older version backups too if theyā€™re of any interest. We didnā€™t use any outside modules.

EDIT: I should have said OPC UA was working without issues in 8.1.2. I didnā€™t check immediately before this upgrade and itā€™s possible the connection was already down before this.

Did you go from 7.9 to 8.1.2 with no other 8.x versions before that?

Last 4 versions:

Can you upload all of those? Iā€™m not sure where the failover bit is being set but Iā€™m thinking maybe on 7.9 -> 8.x now.

It could have been enabled for a while but only blow up now once the connection actually tries to failover.

Theyā€™re all uploaded now; same place, same password.

Thanks. Iā€™m gonna talk to QA on Monday and see if we can reproduce this.

1 Like

Just got an email back from support; this is ticket #13120.

FYI this specific error went away when I cleared the failover checkbox on the Beckhoff OPC UA connection but it still isnā€™t connecting (digging into that now). I wonder if the set failover checkbox only causes issues if the primary settings fail to connect.

I hadnā€™t even looked at the other OPC UA connection settings as it came up workingā€“cleared that failover checkbox now too!

Yes, that's exactly why you never noticed it before. It looks like failover has been enabled ever since your upgrade to 8.1.

1 Like

Weā€™re back onlineā€“just had to restart the Beckhoff PLC. It was rejecting OPC UA connections for no readily apparent reason (all certificates approved on both sides) and wasnā€™t responding to OPC UA server restart commands. It appears something on the Beckhoff OPC UA server had hung up causing failure of the main connection which brought up this error on the failover due to that failover box being checked.

This issue was fixed starting in 8.1.2 but if you had upgraded to any prior 8.0 or 8.1 version it was too late.

1 Like