My first post - be gentle.
I’ve been using Ignition on and off for over a decade now, so naturally have by now used it across plenty of platforms (sometimes even by choice!) and have settled on my preferred method of deployment across different topologies.
But I’m interested in comparing how many people use different platforms, and what people prefer regardles of what they use. Windows, Linux; AMD64, ARM64 specifically.
I’ll go first.
What OS and architecture do you use?
Ranges from ARM64 on site with AMD64 cloud, or either on site.
Almost always Linux AMD/ARM64 with Docker and/or an orchestrator.
Example Container set.
- Caddy - cloud reverse proxy/load balancer.
- Portainer - simple container manager, convenient. Edge agent available for remote docker deployments.
- Filebrowser - manage files, edit configs, share things.
- Wireguard - easy as abc vpn server and/or client.
- Ignition - you know
- MariaDB - db for ignition.
- NGINX - local reverse proxy/load blanacer
- rclone - cloud sync
- node-red - can be useful for linking things
Windows if I have to, I know my way around pretty well.
- Vanilla setup with local db
- Igniton HTTPS; IIS with letsencrypt or client cert; or VM with Linux and Caddy or NGINX for handling ingress.
- Server gets RD Web Access for remote UI, Pro and otherwise get Guacamole in a small VM. Or anydesk/teamviewer/etc if someone is willing to pay for it.
What OS and architecture do you prefer?
Linux ARM64 local, AMD64 cloud
Any specific pros to your decision?
Deployment of a secure edge and a cloud server takes an hour, 2 at most.
Runs well on low spec.
Containerisation makes maintenance, upgrades and backup easy.
Any reasons why you don’t like the other platforms?
Not really, Linux is just easier to use. And mostly free.
Details of your installation that are relevant?
- Usually Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
- Caddyfile - rewrite for designer is required.
- NGINX - config and related scripts to fill iframe url value with secure link. Used for handling local access.
- Rclone - vfs settings
- Deployment - docker-compose (containerised)
- Host - OVH VPS or dedicated server, and/or local AMD64 or and industrialised RPi 4 8GB with an SSD.
- MariaDB - db in container needs special consideraton especially under orchestration, being a stateful application. Can expand to dedicated database servers, managed or unmanaged.
- Ongoing documentation (little laggy…)
Looking forward to seeing others answers!