Purpose/Function of Reference Tags

As I was about to create a new topic, I ran into this thread and Justin’s specific question.

For my application, I have a centralized group of OPC tags for which I enabled history and alarms. Then I was hoping that I could create multiple structures of reference tags pointing at them that would allow me to alias back to the “central tags” from diffferent “angles”. For instance, I want to group tags by machine section but also want to group them by variable type (temp, pressure…) . I could just have two folders with different ref tags organized for different functions (two or more ref tags pointing to same source tag).

However, I realized that once I create the ref tag, it does not pull history or alarm config from source tags. So If I only needed to alias ONCE, then I would just disable history on source tag and enable in ref tag, but then how would I use the other structure without having multiple tags instances storing history from exact same source?

I assume there is a recommended way for what I am trying to achieve? Is there maybe another way of adding meta data to tags so I can group them symbollycaly for my views/components?

What is the recommended practice for having history/alarms? source tag or ref tag?

Thanks a lot.

Daniel.