Quick way to find unused tags?

Is there a way to find tags that aren’t associated with a project any longer? We’ve removed defunct projects but we haven’t been very consistent with tag organization over the years. I’m now certain that we have a fair number of tags that are no longer associated with any project at all. I’d like to get rid of them but there’s no obvious way that I can see to ID orphaned tags…

thanks in advance…

2 Likes

While we probably should have some kind of tooling to aid this by now… we don’t.

Mostly because it’s difficult, if not impossible, to tell you with certainty a tag is no longer used because many times the only reference to a tag will be through a dynamic tag path either in scripting or as part of an expression in UDTs or bindings, etc…

1 Like

Try this, it’s a template, v7.9.12. You can stick in a window, or just run as a template. It has worked for me. If you want to search all tags leave the filter blank. It can take a while depending on how many tags you have.

BadTags.proj (9.6 KB)

Sorry, I read your post a little closer, this probably won’t do what you are looking for. But, it’s there if you need it.

How crazy an idea would it be to have a last read timestamp property on tags?

4 Likes

Excluding reads by Gateway status browse and Designer Tag panel browsing

1 Like

A tool like this would be great. I’ve imported tags from other projects but pulled way more tags than needed for what I am doing. Would be great to auto-clean tags that are unused.