Rasberry Pi

This is with the Model B. It was fun getting it to work, just not fun waiting for the startup time! :laughing:

EDIT: Just discovered this on the RasPi forums:

by plugwash Ā» 08 Feb 2013 12:11 Ok the new version of openjdk-6 including a working cacao is now in raspbian.

Right now Iā€™m just too busy to play with it, but some smart fella (like tailfire, perhapsā€¦ hint hint :laughing: ) might be able to whip something together and let us know if itā€™s improved.

With Jordan Clarkā€™s image I got a Pi to run an Ignition project. Seems to work pretty well except the startup time. Wish I could figure out how to speed that up.

Donā€™t run it on anemic hardware :wink:

I still havenā€™t picked one of these up yetā€¦ slacking.

The latest version of Ubuntu (13.04, out today) is claiming a lot of performance improvements due to work done to make it suitable for tablets, phones etc.

I wonder if these will filter out into the mainstream?

It's hard not to be attracted by the price. Lackluster performace would be fine for digital sinage and OEE displays.

I've overclocked the unit and have managed to decrease project startup time from 16 minitues to 10.

[quote=ā€œWildeKurtā€]
Itā€™s hard not to be attracted by the price. Lackluster performace would be fine for digital sinage and OEE displays.

Iā€™ve overclocked the unit and have managed to decrease project startup time from 16 minitues to 10.[/quote]

:open_mouth:

By project startup do you mean launching a client/designer or just letting the gateway start?

It's the time from clicking the launch client button on the gateway until the time when the client is up and running and displaying data. I seems to spend most of it's time 'initializing scripting' whatever that means.

Here is more grist for the mill:

kickstarter.com/projects/435 ā€¦ ngle-board

Freescale i.MX 6 ARM Cortex-A9 CPU Dua/Quad core 1GHz
Integrated graphics, each processor provides 3 separated accelerators for 2D, OpenGLĀ® ES2.0 3D and OpenVGā„¢
Atmel SAM3X8E ARM Cortex-M3 CPU (same as Arduino Due)
RAM DDR3 1GB
54 Digital I/O + Analog Input (Arduino-compatible R3 1.0 pinout)
HDMI and LVDS + Touch (I2C signals)
Ethernet RJ45 (10/100/1000 MBit)
WiFi Module
Mini USB and Mini USB OTG (micro with the final release)
USB type A (x2) and USB connector (requires a specific wire)
Analog Audio and Mic
SATA (Only Quad-Core version)
Camera connection
Micro SD (boot device)
Power Supply (5-12V) and External Battery connector

Dennis

Iā€™m not much at Linux so maybe someone could point me in the right direction: Using Jordan Clarkā€™s image, the Pi boots up to the GUI and tryā€™s to start his project (which obviously causes an error). For the life of me, I can not find how thatā€™s started. Iā€™ve checked the config, init and other directories can canā€™t figure out how itā€™s done. Even spent a bunch of time with Google on the matter. Ideas? Thanks

Hoo boyā€¦ been a while, and Iā€™m a comparative noob myselfā€¦ :open_mouth:

I donā€™t have my RPi handy, but take a look at /etc/rc.local. That seems to tickle something in the back of my mindā€¦

It looks like the only thing that file does is print an IP address:

Although apparently it's executed at the end of each muliuser runlevel change which seems like a good place to start something up.

Iā€™ll dig it back out when I get a little time and see where I stuck it.

Thanks