SQL Slowdown?

Ignition and SQL server are on separate machines. They are connected via Gigabit Ethernet. Both machines are virtual.

I had our DBA run a check on the SQL machine, all seems good with it. None of my cell edit queries take more that 200 milliseconds.

Ok, how many vCpu(or vCore, or whatever hyper-v calls them, or zen) do you have allocated to the Ignition VM?(I believe you said this was a Win2008r2 x86 box)
Also, is time keeping handled by NTP or w32time?(If vmware, is Vmware tools installed and set to sync time[only if vsphere 4.1 or 5.0, wasn’t great before that)

Reason this is important, JVMs and virtual enviroments have some interesting quirks you have to take into account.
Time keeping is one of them, very important. Also, You generally want at least 2 vCpu for an Ignition instance, but you also don’t want to overcommit vCpu - pCpu or the underlying hypervisor will run into scheduling issues.

Have you tried launching on a different client to see if slow down result is similar?

Dravik: We are running VMWare. 2 cpus are allocated to the Ignition server (4 GB RAM). VMWare tools is installed (vSphere 5.0), it gets its time from the host (to me that means w32time). The SQL machine has one cpu and 4 GB RAM. VMWare tools is installed but it is not set to get its time from the host!! Could that be important???

markdobtech: I have not been able to replicate the slow down when entering data from my machine (which is the terminal server running in virtual mode w/ 2 cpus and 4 GB RAM. I believe this problem is machine dependent but it is hard to verify. The users machine is not virtual.

The slow down has nothing to do with SQL queries as far as I can tell! I wrote a script to capture the info and they were all less than 100 milliseconds. However, when I had the operator open the console while the system was in the slowed down state, she couldn’t even get the console to scroll. The entire JVM on her machine was slowing down. When she opened and closed task manager the entire system sped up. (I have no idea why, but this works every time.)

When I tried to remote desktop into her machine the connection was terrible, so now I am suspecting a bad Ethernet circuit or malware. I will post more shortly.