system.opc.readValue config error

I don’t know then. Make sure Ignition is actually running, its own loopback connection works, and check the bind address you have configured for the server.

Loopback connection to ignition is enabled. However anonymous access was disabled, I enabled it and saved the changes and tried again but still it gives same error. I don’t know what is “User Source”, it is set to opcua-module, i tried changing it to Default, but same error. Do I have to restart the Ignition server?

You have to restart for anonymous access to be allowed, but that’s not likely to fix the error you’re seeing. Don’t change the user source or you’ll break your loopback connection.

hmmm… let me do some more trial and error.

Take a screenshot of your Config > OPC UA > Server Settings page.

Seems fine, but you’ll eventually need to change your Security Policies to “None,Basic256Sha256” and restart again once you figure out this socket/network error, or the Python client won’t be able to connect.

Thanks a lot , i will try after a while and update you…

I changed the security policy to None and saved the settings, but the same error. Do I need to restart to gateway server or OPC server?

Any change in that settings area requires a restart of the OPC UA module or gateway.

Yes, I restarted the module and I think it connected! However it gives the warning

Requested session timeout to be 3600000ms, got 120000ms instead

So guess its a very basic client without any encryption ! I will just test if I am able to browse the server , that will confirm if its working!

Yes, its working fine, the command objects.get_children() gives:

[Node(FourByteNodeId(i=2253)), Node(StringNodeId(ns=1;s=Devices)), Node(StringNodeId(ns=2;s=Tag Providers))]

It seems to be working fine. I need to test teh remaining functions. Thanks a lot Kevin!

What is the information model used in OPC UA server of Ignition? i.e. Structure of the nodes and references and reference types , name spaces etc? Any write up available? Some guidance will be appreciated.

Other than the nodes belonging to namespace 0 there is no defined information model.

There’s a Devices folder referenced by the Objects folder. Each device instance is represented by its own folder under the Devices folder. Nodes are just BaseDataVariableNodes. Most references are either Organizes or HasComponent.

There are no custom ObjectTypes, VariableTypes, DataTypes, or References.

1 Like

Does Ignition OPC UA server support Pub/Sub specs?

No, Ignition’s OPC UA implementation is for version 1.03 of the spec.

PubSub is from 1.04. I don’t know if we’ll implement it even when we get basic 1.04 support.

1 Like

Also I guess same will be the case with AE and HA modules of OPC? As it doesn’t make sense to revamp the already excellently working Alarms and History modules of Ignition?

How are arrays and UDT Tags exposed in OPC when tag providers are exposed? Are arrays mapped as appropriate array type in OPC? Are each UDT columns exposed as arrays or individual tags?(sorry I am asking without trying it out myself, just to save some time for myself).