Talking to a MicroLogix 1200

If you should happen to be trying this with an older IBM thinkpad using a USB to serial converter, make sure you have Core Duo mode disabled in the computer’s BIOS setup.

There were also some changes made to the serial communications cables for the Micrologix 1200 a few years ago (grounding / isolation issues?). I remember because the one I had left over from programming some older 1500s wouldn’t plug into the 1200 (end was too wide), I cheated and shaved it down with a utility knife.

From the A/B manual:

Use only the following communication cables with the MicroLogix 1200
controllers.
• 1761-CBL-PM02 series C or later
• 1761-CBL-HM02 series C or later
• 1761-CBL-AM00 series C or later
• 1761-CBL-AP00 series C or later
• 2707-NC8 series A or later
• 2702-NC9 series B or later
• 2707-NC10 series B or later
• 2707-NC11 series B or later

Note the Series C on the CBL cables, I think an earlier series cable is what I hacked.

I think upgrading the MicroLogix 1200 firmware is a good place to start.

Also, although this is a long shot and you may have already tried it, there’s an advanced setting on the MicroLogix driver for using “Zero TNS Connections”, which is basically just a workaround for a bug in some older firmware versions. You might try that.

Thanks, guys.

At this point I’m seriously considering going to a ML-1100. My A/B guy told me the 1100 can use the combo analog card from the 1200, so that will help.

Ignition does work OK with a DIGI and a Micrologix 1100?

Let me know what you think…

John

Works, according to a previous post. However, based on my recent experience with Digi, I give their customer service / tech support two thumbs down, amongst the worst of any vendor I have had to deal with in my alsost 20 years in the business.

Has anyone had any experience with the Amplicon MGate EIP 3000?

[quote=“jkelleyus”]Thanks, guys.

At this point I’m seriously considering going to a ML-1100. My A/B guy told me the 1100 can use the combo analog card from the 1200, so that will help.

Ignition does work OK with a DIGI and a Micrologix 1100?

Let me know what you think…

John[/quote]

ignition should be able to connect to the 1100 without using a digi, since it has an ethernet port.

Sorry about your experiences with DIGI. They didn’t used to be bad…in fact they were quite good.

It seems this happens a lot now days. We recently had a very awful experience (on another project) with Red Lion. Too bad…they also used to excellent.

I’ve been impressed with Inductive on this. It was astounding that Kevin would purchase a DIGI just to explore this problem. Bravo!

In recent memory, the only truly wonderful support I’ve gotten consistently was on an IT issue and the vendor was VMWare. They’re growing by leaps and bounds…

Maybe some of the other manufacturers (Rockwell included) should take note. We can buy mediocre anywhere…

Oh… and I won’t need the DIGI with a ML1100, it just occurred to me.

It appears you will have to upgrade to version 7.7.3 when it comes out, there is a note in the 7.7.3 release candidate mentioning there was a micrologix comm issue with 7.7.2

I think this was only under certain relatively uncommon circumstances (using PCCC instead of EIP).

Also… I’m not sure that should have showed up in the changelog; I don’t think it’s part of 7.7.3.

Isn’t this in the latest 7.7.3 release candidate changelong?

It is, but it shouldn’t be. The ticket had the wrong milestone assigned to it and so the changelog generator picked it up.

I know you’re switching to an 1100 but I thought I’d just give you an update: the DigiOne IAP has arrived but the ML1200 I had to acquire won’t be here until the end of next week :neutral_face:

Once we finally have everything we’ll get it hooked up and tested, but I suspect it’s going to work and it’s going to come down to a difference in the series/firmware versions. I’ll try to update this thread when we find out…

Great, Kevin. Thanks for the update. I’ll keep watching…

Perhaps I’ll find a good use for the 1200 somewhere else (-;.

John

Is there any update on this? I have a similar application coming up with a ML1500LSP (DF1 only) and a C400 HMI that needs to be able to talk to inductive as well as RSLinx/Logix.

I know this is an old thread, but I’m pinging it because I think I had a similar issue and found the answer here https://www.dosupply.com/tech/2018/03/19/configuring-the-1761-net-eni/, and I hope anyone else that has the same issue can be helped by this.