TCP Driver - Active/Passive connections

That’s a good samaritan’s statement which doesn’t hold any legal validity in the court of law. To sell your JAVA product to any serious business house and deploy it on their production server. you must do the needful to get a clearance/compliance certificate from Oracle and submit it to the consultant

Why a project consultant would approve your product by jeopardizing his own business interest?.

Oracle doesn’t certify products built on JAVA. Tell me which body of Oracle does it? Products are sold as per license agreement between two parties if they find a value in it. They can choose what ever product meets their technical, legal and commercial requirements.

1. Do you agree that Oracle has the legal right to demand for a license fee or disable their component for violation of their legal rights, if you are using it for commercial purpose unknowingly?.

2. Does the consultant/client have the right to ask for any compliance/license/clearance certificate to use your product?

3. Will you go to the court, if some one tampers with your product license and make money?.

1 As long as I am using Oracle’s Licensed product after paying their due licensed fee, they have no rights or reasons to withdraw their support or disable JAVA.
2. Tell me what body certifies the product for automation industry? I can understand FDA approval is required for medical devices. For automation is there any such approving authority? As long as I am following good software development process, practices and testing and quality processes, I can show it to any qualified certification agency and get a certification. I do have a licence agreement for usage of my product.
3. These are assumptions. I will comply with my own product I cant do anything about it if some one steals my product and tampers with it!

That's it. If the client demands a license copy, submit it. Read on....

Few weeks back, i stood up in this forum to defend your JAVA product and took many bullets on my chest. Today, even i can not buy your product because my client has told me very clearly "For any JAVA prodcut, we need license/clearance/compliance certificate from Oracle. Our IT department is already paying a big penalty to Oracle". Of course, there's a huge eco system of consultants and lawyers thriving on Oracle and everyone gets their fair share of beef and kickbacks. Oracle is NOT an idiot to pay few billions and buy JAVA from Sun microsystems. They have done their homework thoroughly and knew very well that they can make double that amount every year atleast for next 3 years until a better alternative comes up. Their recent legal victory against Google, proves that point beyond any doubt. They have all the MNC law firms on their payroll.

If i apply for a clearance/compliance certificate to Oracle for a USD 99/- product, they will ask me to submit all the source code, will charge a million US dollars, will make me run from pillar to post and will take many more years to approve or reject. I won't be alive until then to celebrate the victory of my war against mighty Oracle. Instead, it's better to pay for the license even if i don't have any Oracle JAVA component, pass on the charge to the client and move on with my simple life.

There are clearly laid down subscripting policies for JAVA in effect from June 22 2018.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javaseproducts/overview/javasesubscriptionfaq-4891443.html

Also there is an article in Infoworld

You two, @PRAMANJ & @R.Alamsha are doing it again… using someone else’s thread for your conversations which have nothing to do with OP’s topic. Really… get a private room…

1 Like

No problem. We came to help you out because your scanner problem was technically interesting. We solved your 4 year old problem and till now you didn’t even say thanks for our efforts. Thanks.

Yes, tried to connect to a Python sever via UDP and TCP, eventually uploaded to PostgresSQL and added the DB to Ignition, we didn’t want to go down the add-ons option.

So I wanted to kind of resurrect this/perform a little knowledge transfer in regards to connecting Android based hand scanners to Ignition. Like quite a few people, the problem with the ‘Smart’ Hand scanners is they require a passive listener and do not play well with an active listener. The scanner I was working with was a Zebra MC3300X and trying to set up the scanner with the TCP driver I could never establish a connection. I downloaded one of the TCP/UDP modules that someone developed on one of these forums and managed to get the scanner to connect but was still unable to receive the data from what I was scanning. Today I made a break through that I wanted to pass on. If this is common knowledge I apologize but I just wanted to put it out there in the event someone else is trying to accomplish the same thing.

The configuration that was successful for me was using the UDP driver in Ignition (the 1st party one, not a user created module). The part of it that took me some time to figure out is when setting up the driver, for the IP field I entered the IP of the laptop instead of the scanner and then the port that I have set up on my scanner to scan to (in my case 58627). What I am assuming this configuration is doing is forcing Ignition to check the local port continuously which in essence is creating a “passive listener”. I am receiving my barcode data and RFID tag data with no issues so far with this setup.

4 Likes