Using OPC com to connect to an OPC server

I still don’t have OPC the Windows 2003 server working correctly with Ignition.

I did find another free tool that you might finde helpful:

OPC Security Analyzer - Free Tool

Advosol Inc.
advosol.com/

The tool shows I have some issues. They might be related to Group Policy.

Still testing.

Dennis

Still don’t have the OPC on Windows 2003 R2 working.

I took an old pc with XP and installed my app that has the opc server. I configured it.

I installed ignition and setup the OPC there.

Went thru the DCOM setup and changed ignition to run as an administrator instead of SYSTEM.

Things are working now with it.

Question is:

With OPCUA I can point to another gateway machine and browse tags on the devices configured on it.

Is there any way to go OPCUA->OPCUA->OPC on that last box?

I would like to browse the OPC server on the far box, and do that from my main Ignition Gateway.

Thanks for the help.

Dennis

Yes! See the OPC-COM Tunnel module here:
http://www.inductiveautomation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=7890

Put that on the machine that can talk to the OPC server. Then, on that same machine, add another device under the OPC-UA server, and select the "OPC-COM Tunneller" driver. Now, when you browse the UA server from the remote Ignition, your COM servers will show up under that device, as if they were simply folders.

Regards,

It works!

Now to order another OPC Com license.

Thanks.

Dennis

PS: Did you take a look at that Advosol tool?

I’m glad to hear that. As a reminder, you only need 1 OPC-COM license when using the tunneller- just on the machine that’s actually talking to the OPC server. If you have multiple Ignitions talking to servers, that’s fine, I just wanted to point out that unlike other tunnelling products, you don’t need a license on each side here.

Yes, I’ve seen that tool before, it’s very helpful. I thought I had linked to it somewhere, but guess not. Maybe we should put a few links at the bottom of the DCOM Knowledge base article to useful tools like that.

Regards,

Dear All,

i have problem reading Matrikon Simulation…

I have installed the Ignition on Windows XP SP3 and using VMware, and i installed Matrikon OPC Simulation Server on My host PC (Windows 7).

im trying to read the value from matrikon simulation but no luck… and i have tried the OPC Com tunneler, but the quality show stale… am i doing worng?

i’ve setup the DCOM, with the same Username and Password…

i need to do demo by wednesday, so i need to fix this up…

please help

Hi,

Just as a quick aside, it’s usually better to start a new thread than to re-open an old one. Just for next time…

Let’s start with this: If you’ve installed the tunneller, it means you have Ignition on your host machine along with Matrikon, right? In that case, Ignition is only making a local connection to the OPC server. Does that work? Can you browse, subscribe, etc on that machine? If not, what errors are reported?

If you can get the local connection to work, using the tunneller shouldn’t take much more work. If you don’t want to use the tunneller, and want to connect over DCOM, try going through the steps in this article, and then post back with specific errors that you see in the console (after you log into the gateway config, you’ll see “console” in the left hand menu)

Regards,

thanks for your reply,

i got it thanks… i solved the problem.