Version 8 32-bit vision clients

The processor is 64-bit, but most of the RPi-compatible OSes are still 32-bit builds, including the default Raspbian.

Well that sounds like a bummer. Good to know, thanks.

Thereā€™s a RPi blog post on the topic explaining why ā€“ basically with max 4G ram, 32-bit software is significantly more memory efficient.

2 Likes

any help on using those scripts? i downloaded them and execute the .sh script but then i try to open designer and nothing happens

What parameters are you passing to the script when you run it?

Do you have a 32-bit JRE installed and the JAVA_HOME environment variable set to that JRE?

1 Like

Also, what are OS you installing on? If it's a Pi, there is a modified script and how-to here:

1 Like

Still an unsupported/semi-supported feature, but we put together a KB article describing the process a bit, as well as providing more visibility on the matter: Knowledge Base Article

1 Like

Why not just release an already configured image for Raspberry Pis that is fully supported? (could be 64 or 32 bit) Seems to me that this would reduce the number of support calls because users would be starting off in a good spot. Being able to run vision clients on a raspberry Pi is critical functionality, IMO. It really enables me to deploy a greater number of HMI clients, which is great.
For the time being, it seems that there are things that simply cannot be done in Perspective on a full-screen touch-only terminal (embedded web pages and PDFs), at least in 8.0.2, which I am on.

The runtime we license for distribution does not include 32-bit x86 builds and itā€™s headless on ARM.

OK, I get why you canā€™t support a bunch of random JREs, making 32-bit a no-go. How about setting up a 64-bit image that I can load on a Raspberry Pi?

I guess the current ARM build does work on RPi, you just have to use the legacy client launch script to launch Vision.

Itā€™s not completely headless, thereā€™s just no JavaFX and no JXBrowser available. So no launchers (which is why you need the legacy launch script) and no web browser component or Designer on the RPi.

Yes, I am currently using the legacy launch script to make it work, but I was under the impression that I had to install a 3rd party JRE (such as Liberica) to make it work. Is that no longer true in 8.0.3?

Hi @cody.abbott,

You do still have to install a compatible version of java (11 at the moment) to run vision clients or designers. The JRE that is included with the ARM version of ignition could in fact be used as well. Most vision aspects work fine, the issue being anything that relies on JXBrowser at the moment (all of perspective, and the Web Browser component)

Hope that helps,

Jonathan C

When I get some time, I want to see how it performs under Raspbian Buster on a Pi3, since I have a few floating around here, and Buster comes with OpenJDK11 (as near as I can tell). Should have some news in a day or two.

Youā€™d still have to use the launcher, but it would avoid having to install a JRE.

Myself, Iā€™ve had no issues with Liberica, but still havenā€™t found time to check out the JavaFX support.

I think you mean a Pi4, as that is what ships on them now I believe?
I was unaware that it came with Java already installed. I installed Liberica and it didnā€™t seem to cause any issues (unless that had something to do w/ my auto startup problems???)

Anyway, I got a client running on a Pi4 running Buster no problem. I did eventually give up and go back to a 3B+ because I couldnā€™t get it to run on boot. I messed around w/ it for a couple hours and somehow managed to lock myself out of the OS completely; sometimes it is the seemingly simple things that get you. My whole goal was to get 4k resolution, which I accidentally got working on a 3B+ ! :sweat_smile:

EDIT: It was actually the RasPi 4 that gave me 4k, I had swapped them and the same SD card will work w/ both. 3B+ is not 4k compatible

2 Likes

Nope. I know what I said. :wink: I have a dozen of them in use now, and a couple of spares for a rainy day. May as well experiment with what I've got.

Hi All,

I followed knowledge base steps.
I get this error while launching the project.
Can someone advise how to proceed!

Hi @guganathan.r,

Just to confirm you have a project with the name that you are supplying to the legacy launcher batch file on your gateway and that itā€™s a valid launchable project?

Sorry, it was my mistake. Its working now. Thanks.

Thanks for this. The base knowledge was great!

I got Ignition running on my Pi :slight_smile: Keep the scripts working with future versions! I understand your reasons, but unfortunately, the industry does not move that fast at the same pace.

1 Like