Visibility Animation causing very slow client

You should try a screen recorder app like bandicam (more powerful, heavyweight) or screentogif (simple, lightweight)

Try it with containers vs groups.

If you unselect the group, how’s performance? The selection resize handles seem to affect animation performance; I noticed the same with your original window export.

If I unselect that one group, everything speeds back up. But it’s odd. The rest of the animations on that screen export are all grouped too. It’s just grouping the original instance (the others are duplicates of it) that slows everything down.

Edit more info. So it would appear that all it takes is to leave one set ungrouped…doesn’t matter which one. Once they are all in groups the slowdown occurs.

The problem with a container is that its going to require an instance of the timer. So if I copy 20 of these to a screen, there are 20 instances of the same timer running. I tested it and it doesn’t seem to be a problem, but I’m wondering if there is any impact to overhead having so many timer instances running.

How so? Objects can access a timer on the root container from within another container.

I get binding warnings when I tried to create it without the timer in the container. Maybe im not understanding how to create a container properly. The help guide is pretty sparse for containers.

Drag and drop a container from the toolbar.
Copy/Cut the gears, select the container, Paste them into it.
Then the bindings should just be bound to a property of Root Container.Timer.Value

I owe you a beer. Seems to work great. I was mistakenly interchanging templates for containers. When creating a template it had to include the timer.

Wonder what the engine difference between the container and group is. Coming from WW and FT im just so used to using groups for visual design and moving things around.

Nope, you just have to go up one more parent to get to the window.

Groups have their quirks and are super dodgy when you try to move things around in them that would change the bounding box size. Objects get resized... Containers on the other hand don't have this bug

I was sure that I had a topic with a screen capture... But I can't find it

Thanks for the info…the containers worked out better and didnt have the slow down issue. The only drawback is with opaque and border turned off, its not apparent there is a container, so a developer in the future won’t know necessarily to drag the container to move the images…and I kept having to remember to use ALT myself.

I assume this is the case due to groups having to recalculate their bounding box dimensions with each movement of its contents, whereas containers have fixed boundaries. This is supported by what Paul found as well where unselecting components decreased the CPU load, presumably due to not having to recalc the selection bounding boxes all the time.

This is something you will quickly get used to. We've been using containers for years and they haven't caused any issues

Agreed…im getting more used to using the project browser to identify components.

I must be missing something here. To make an object spin efficiently you can use the style customizer on the angle property.

Started that way and the image would eventually rotate off the screen.

Try importing the attached screen. It’s from v7.9.14. Does the wheel roll off the page?

rotating object.proj (6.6 KB)

I’ll give it a shot. But I did resize them to have the same width and height. The problem I think is that it must also have an exact center. Dont know why, but ignition seems to calculate the center incorrectly. For example, ill drag an image from symbol factory and manually set the width, height, location, to whole numbers, with the width and height equal. As soon as the angle is changed, the coordinates, width and height all change by fractions. Over time, these fractions grow and the image begins to move.

This is the same issue as in this topic.
The last post has the solution that the OP used, but it’s a bit of a doozy.
Someone did suggest that checking “maintain aspect ratio” helped, but others said they still had the issue with it on. :man_shrugging:

I know I’ll be beat up, but use a GIF and be done with it. :slight_smile:

Sounds like you have your problem solved! Since I’m using Perspective it may not be apples to apples but…

I have been using .svg files for my animated icons in Perspective at least the nice thing about them is that I can create the multiple objects, states if you will, all in one .svg file and then make them visible, change their color, move them with respect to one another, etc. by attaching tags to the various properties in the .svg file. I’m finding that I can “group” all of the animated objects when I’m creating the .svg and then they are all in a neat group inside Perspective as well.

Just food for thought.