Visibility Animation causing very slow client

Sorry, just read your first post in more detail and see that you already had it that way.

Yeah, because of the symbol factory image not being perfectly symmetrical, eventually they wobble and wander. I may revisit it though, as the above solution isnā€™t working either. About to post a new video and export.

Something else besides angle is going on. So, I realized I didnā€™t really need 10 images to produce the effect I needed. Just 3. So I used 3 images, no angles, but natively offset. Using a 3 tick timer, timer.value=0,1,2. All went great, and I put about 15 on the screen. Until I grouped the original set of 3 images. Then suddenly everything slows down again! Iā€™m posting an export and video again. The video will show that the simple act of grouping the 3 images slows everything down.Animation Slow 2.zip (91.4 KB)

You should try a screen recorder app like bandicam (more powerful, heavyweight) or screentogif (simple, lightweight)

Try it with containers vs groups.

If you unselect the group, howā€™s performance? The selection resize handles seem to affect animation performance; I noticed the same with your original window export.

If I unselect that one group, everything speeds back up. But itā€™s odd. The rest of the animations on that screen export are all grouped too. Itā€™s just grouping the original instance (the others are duplicates of it) that slows everything down.

Edit more info. So it would appear that all it takes is to leave one set ungroupedā€¦doesnā€™t matter which one. Once they are all in groups the slowdown occurs.

The problem with a container is that its going to require an instance of the timer. So if I copy 20 of these to a screen, there are 20 instances of the same timer running. I tested it and it doesnā€™t seem to be a problem, but Iā€™m wondering if there is any impact to overhead having so many timer instances running.

How so? Objects can access a timer on the root container from within another container.

I get binding warnings when I tried to create it without the timer in the container. Maybe im not understanding how to create a container properly. The help guide is pretty sparse for containers.

Drag and drop a container from the toolbar.
Copy/Cut the gears, select the container, Paste them into it.
Then the bindings should just be bound to a property of Root Container.Timer.Value

I owe you a beer. Seems to work great. I was mistakenly interchanging templates for containers. When creating a template it had to include the timer.

Wonder what the engine difference between the container and group is. Coming from WW and FT im just so used to using groups for visual design and moving things around.

Nope, you just have to go up one more parent to get to the window.

Groups have their quirks and are super dodgy when you try to move things around in them that would change the bounding box size. Objects get resized... Containers on the other hand don't have this bug

I was sure that I had a topic with a screen capture... But I can't find it

Thanks for the infoā€¦the containers worked out better and didnt have the slow down issue. The only drawback is with opaque and border turned off, its not apparent there is a container, so a developer in the future wonā€™t know necessarily to drag the container to move the imagesā€¦and I kept having to remember to use ALT myself.

I assume this is the case due to groups having to recalculate their bounding box dimensions with each movement of its contents, whereas containers have fixed boundaries. This is supported by what Paul found as well where unselecting components decreased the CPU load, presumably due to not having to recalc the selection bounding boxes all the time.

This is something you will quickly get used to. We've been using containers for years and they haven't caused any issues

Agreedā€¦im getting more used to using the project browser to identify components.

I must be missing something here. To make an object spin efficiently you can use the style customizer on the angle property.

Started that way and the image would eventually rotate off the screen.

Try importing the attached screen. Itā€™s from v7.9.14. Does the wheel roll off the page?

rotating object.proj (6.6 KB)